These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 3D 8.1.1 Crashes when AcrobatUpdater.dll loads at startup.

Sklener
Sklener's picture

My Acrobat 3D Crashes within 30 seconds of startup.
I've installed the 8.1.1 update but still have the crash everytime.

I scowered the Adobe website and still can't get it to work.

I've uninstalled completely, reinstalled 8.1.0 installed 8.1.1 update and stll have the crash every time.

I get the Windows message:

Adobe Acrobat 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Looking at the error log this is what I see

Error signature
EventType : BEX P1 : Acrobat.exe P2 : 8.1.0.137 P3 : 46444c82
P4 : AdobeUpdater.dll P5 : 5.1.0.1082 P6 : 45e646ef P7 : 0001755f
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

Anyone understand this or have any Ideas?

I also have reader 7.0 and have no problem.

I'm running XP Pro.

This problem just started last week. I was able to use it with on problem for several months.

Sklener
Sklener's picture
Seems like nobody wants to touch this one!!!!

I'm updating this thread myself incase someone else has this problem. It will save you literally hours.

After playing around, trial and error, hours of uninstalling, reinstalling several times I've narrowed it down to the following freaken PLUG-IN!

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\updater.api

This is Adobe's plugin to check for updates.

If I move this plugin to somewhere else I can actually use my Acrobat 3D without crashing. I moved the file "updater.api" to c:\temp for now.

It seems I can not use the Menu pulldown Help -> Check for Updates. It just does nothing. However before it would crash Acrobat 3D every time.
lkassuba
lkassuba's picture
ExpertTeam
There is a technical note regarding the Updater plugin consuming 100% CPU usage. Perhaps this is the problem, if so, you can also try changing the preferences for the Updater. For more information visit:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401737&sliceId=1Also, there have been a few other postings on the Error signature and it appears to be related to a corrupt Windows User Profile. Try creating a new user profile to see if it corrects the problem.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.