These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

120 identical index pages: how avoid making 1440 individual links?

Rasse

Hello there,

I have agreed to help a friend with a non-profit project, which entails formatting a MS Word document of aprox 1000 pages of poetry, consisting of 100+ poets, to a pdf with interspaced, SIMILAR interlinked navigation pages in front of every author. The index page is at the same time designed to hold the name of the next author in line, and is so part of the book's overall design ("this poet out of all these...").

The reason for this is that they want the pdf to be easy accessible on an ebook reader *with* touch screen as well as *without*, and provide the reader with clickable links to every author from anywhere within the document (via touch or computer screen), or just refer via pagenumber (for passive mobile reader screens), all on one page (120 clickable names + 120 page numbers).

I have produced a straight forward pdf from the original word-document. But here it becomes tacky:

Its easy from within Acrobat 8 to make links from one index page to the entry page of every author. 120 links to an index page. And then I thought I could just delete every page in the pdf and retain the index page as an independent pdf - and import this into the right place in the original pdf, 120 places.

But, alas, no. The index page with internal links does not work, once it is separated from the pdf, inside which it is linked. Though every link retain their clickable property, the link is forgotten, even if it is imported back into the original document - just at a different location in the pdf.

So, to avoid having to make 120x120 links - 120 identical pages with 120 indentical links at 120 positions throughout the document (plus a name change on the page for the coming author) - is there any way around this? F.ex. link to a page number inside the pdf, rather than a relative position and save this page WITH the internal links?

IF it was straight foreward computer screen, I would just bookmark every author (which are not in alfabetical order in the book), and use this as index. But here we are dealing also with the certainty that the book will end up on mobile readers with and without touch screen, and then willful navigation through 1000 pages becomes less easy.

I could really use some input on this, as my experience with mobile readers is as new as the Astak EZ reader, I was given to experiment on. Which btw doesn't have clickable screen, and therefore takes 3 clicks plus entered (up to 4 digit) page number to get to a desired page...

regards,
Rasse

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0, Macintosh
rbogie
your post (7/14) is a little dated. if you still need assistance, send me an email via the forum. I know how to do efficiently much of what you seem to need.
SCCBar
This question sounds like mine: I have a newsletter with an index page. In the PDF, I added internal links (using Acrobat 8) so a reader can click on the index page to get to a specific article or ad in the newsletter. When I load the PDF to the website and look at the newsletter from the website, the internal links are not there.

Other links in the document, to other locations, are retained.

How should I be setting up the internal links between the index page and the content of the newsletter?
rbogie
i dont have an answer without seeing the pdf. if you'd care to send me the file or the weblink, you may do so via a post to this thread or by an email. also, this is really a new topic.