These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Alternate Text Tag in Word 2007 Source FIle Getting Lost???

Bighouse

I'm at my wit's end here. I'm new to tagging files, but want to make sure I'm doing all that I can to make my documents accessible for my students and following our schools requirements also to do so.

In videos I've seen it's highly recommended that you embed the alternate text tag in the SOURCE file. I'm working in MS Office Word 2007, and I'm adding the alternate text tags to all my images and saving my document.

When I attempt to print to PDF via the Acrobat toolbar/menu ribbon I'm not getting the tags to come across to the final PDF. It's horribly hit-and-miss. Sometimes some come through, other times none do! Does anyone have any idea if there are issues with this working improperly? Seems like it should be foolproof but I'm really frustrated at the lack of consistency in what I'm getting.

HELP!?!?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.6, Windows
Bighouse
I think I've solved this issue- for anyone who's losing their Alternate Text tags on images please pass this along. (Sorry about the double post- but I wanted to make sure anyone reading this and having the same issue also finds the solution.)

If your images are TOO close to the text, it creates a problem when exporting and your tags will get messed up or lost. So, in MS Word, follow these steps:
1. Right click atop image.
2. Select "Format Picture..."
3. Select the "Square Layout" and then the "Advanced" button.
4. Change the "Distance from Text" values to 0.1".
5. Save your file and use the Standard setup in the Create PDF tool.
My tags are now exporting perfectly!!!!

Here's where I stumbled on it- this is a great two page document!!!: blogs.adobe.com/accessibility/assets/WordToPDFReferenceCard_v1.pdf