These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Issues with LiveCycle fillable forms and 508 accessibility.

Hi all,

My issues seem to stem from rearranging tags and content in Adobe Professional 8. The source files we convert to PDF start out as .xls and .doc. I use the Acrobat tab within Office to convert the files. The content mostly contains forms that I need to make "fillable" and accessible.

The problem is that I can't seem to set the logical reading order so that the text/data will read first, then the fillable form field. We are also using JAWS to navigate. Any ideas? If I have not provided enough information that please feel free to probe, thank you all.

daka630
Expert
Often, anything outbound to Tagged PDF from XLS files will not have an ISO 32000-1 compliant Table element.
Without that, any Table elements within the PDF's structure tree will not be accessible and not Section 508 compliant. Consequently, you'd want to use Acrobat Pro to scrutinize the structure tree of any Tagged output PDF from XLS files and, if possible, make corrections.
MS Word files, when properly mastered can provide well formed Tagged PDF output using PDFMaker prior to Office 2007 or, for Office 2007 & 2010, Microsoft provides a facility for proper Tag management. Of course PDFMaker for either does the job as well (provided the appropriate version of Acrobat is installed). Regardless, the Tagged output PDF from DOC files also needs a close look-see and fix-up using Acrobat Pro.
Once the PDF files do, in fact, have a well formed structure tree (as described and discussed in the ISO PDF Standard ISO 32000-1) followed by a cross-check against 1194.22 of Section 508 (and the related portions of WCAG 1.0 to which each paragraph is pointed to) you will have an Accessible PDF (usable + S508 compliant).
The PDF structure tree is what the "bouncing ball" of AT follows/uses. A spot on structure tree for the PDF page content assures all other things go well (read order, etc.).
Once the structure tree for the PDF page content is appropriately established you'd proceed with the lay-down of form fields and the appropriate processing to bring them into the PDF's structure tree. While do this you'd assure the form fields placement in the structure tree harmoniously align with the logical hierarchy of the document content.
Once completed and checked (which always begins with walking down the structure tree)as good then S508 compliance will be there.
It all does take some time.
Addendum: If you are building dynamic forms with LCD the forms will have to piped out to static forms. As static forms, you'd be able to properly Tag (build the structure tree)for Accessibility.

Be well...

Thank you very much for that insight daka, the only issue that is still present is the fact that I cannot rearrange the order in the order Panel. I also no longer use LiveCycle to make fillable fields since Adobe can do it pretty well. When using the TouchUp Reading Order tool, do I have to re-tag the fillable fields/check boxes as "form fields" again? The main issue is that I cannot adjust the structure order; drag/drop and cut/paste do not seem to have any effect, thanks again.