These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Table Inspector and Word 2007 PDFs

erathman

I am using the latest version of Acrobat 8.1.2 Pro and Word 2007 to create my PDFs as a contract requirement.

When I tell Word to create a PDF (using the plug-in that Acrobat installs) I have a choice of "Fully Functional PDF" or "Quick and Simple PDF"

If I choose "Fully Functional PDF" and then use Table Inspector in Acrobat, my cells are all messed up. Either all the rows don't have the same column width or I get several columns designated as a single column.

If I use "Quick and Simple PDF" the tables come out perfect when viewed in Table Inspector

The problem is that when using "Quick and Simple PDF" my graphics/figures are not reproduced correctly.

Searching this forum I ran across another problem that suggested making the PDF Printer the default printer. I tried that and it doesn't change anything.

And upgrading to Acrobat 9 isn't an option right now.

Can anybody help?

P.S. I also can't find a good definition of what "Fully Functional PDF" and "Quick and Simple PDF" mean

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.2, Windows
daka630
Expert
Quote:
P.S. I also can't find a good definition of what "Fully Functional PDF" and "Quick and Simple PDF" mean
A post by Dimitri may help to clarify this.

Dimitri wrote:
Quick and Simple is for "plain vanilla" PDFs that don't have advanced features like Bookmarks. Here is an excerpt from an article here at AUC by Ted Padova that explains some of the features you don't get with the Quick and Simple option-"One special issue you’ll want to keep in mind when creating PDF documents in Microsoft Word 2007 is that you have essentially two types of PDF files you can create. The PDFMaker offers you a choice between quickly creating either a basic PDF document (Quick-and-simple PDF) that you might use for file exchanges and content review, or taking longer to create a Fully functional PDF for more advanced usage, such as printing, accessibility, document repurposing, forms creation, archiving standards and so on. (Note: The "Fully Functional" mode is the same way you created PDFs in Acrobat 8.0 and earlier.)"
Full article is here-
[url]http://www.acrobatusers.com/articles/2007/06/top_resons_acrobat_8_1/[/url]

So, basically the fully functional PDF method retains the underlying "structure" of the PDF while the Q&S method does not.
See [url]http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=14114[/url]

Be well...

Be well...

erathman
Thank you daka630. That's sort of what I was thinking they meant, but in practice I can't really see a difference.

The quick and simple still tags for accessibility, and as I said, does a better job than the fully functional for tables.

Can anybody give me some feedback on the table problem I'm having with "fully functional"

Has anybody else experienced this?
erathman
So basically my problem is that I want the functionality of "Fully Functional PDFs" with the better table recognition I find in "Quick and Simple PDF"

Can anybody tell me why these two options define tables differently?