These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Cannot upload PDF for review using OS X.5.3 and Acrobat Pro 8.1.2

mclambj

We use a WebDav server for browser-based reviews. It will not allow a Leopard user to upload a PDF for review. Something in our firewall or network settings is blocking the Authentication login prompt. Our error message reads:

"Unable to load (URL).pdf

If you are saving a file off to a file server volume that needs authentication, the dialog asking for name and password has been blocked.

Please login to the file server before uploading the file."

Has this happened to anyone? After much troubleshooting, I cannot figure out what's causing this or where the setting might be. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have also installed the last upgrade (8.1.3) and that didn't help.

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
What format is your URL/URI in the Server Setting field? Do you have a trailing backslash like the following example:
http://161.43.237.41/WebDAV/

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

mclambj
Our URL is in the same format, directing the PDF to copy into a local server that uses a commenting repository:

http://bamboo3.companyname.com/Collab/
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you confirm that your proxy server is forwarding DAV verbs to the server? DAV verbs are special HTTP commands that Acrobat uses to communicate with the WebDAV server.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

mclambj
I tested it, and after taking off all proxy settings-the same error message appeared when we tried to upload the PDF to a browser-based review.

There's no firewall or proxy server installed or required between the client and the server.
Gilt Edged
Hi, We are very interested in using Browser Review for our clients. I have been experimenting this morning, I think I understand that we have to set up a WebDav server and I'm sure our IT department will know what to do here. But do our clients need anything special (other than a browser) in order for us to use this browser review process with them? Many thanks for any help you can give :)
mclambj
I highly recommend browser-based reviews. They have been very successful for our company in proofing files. The most important thing to understand is PC or Mac user- they must be using Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional to comment/annotate your review. If they are using Reader, they will not be able to use or see the commenting tools. Macs tend to use Safari as their browser, and IE for PCs.

Your IT will have to set up a WebDAV server, like you mentioned-and there's a commenting repository involved, too. It's a location on a server that stores everyone's comments. There will be special settings in all the users Acrobat Preferences that will need to be set-up, but it's pretty straight forward.

The current problem I am having is that we have a few Macs here running the new OS X (Leopard) and those users cannot upload a browser-based review. There's an authentication problem. I've been through all the troubleshooting I can think of, researched, read...worked with my IT department with our firewalls, talked to Adobe- I just can't figure it out. Mac users running Tiger (10.4.X) have no problem at all.

Hope that helps!
mclambj
I'm STILL stuck on this problem with very unhappy users. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!