These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

My word 2007 conversion to pdf - commenting not allowed by me

stan1
Answered

I "printed" a screen shot, pasted the screen shot in a Word 2007 document and saved it as a pdf using Word 2007's save as pdf function. I want to use the markup tools in Acrobat reader 8 to "circle in red" parts of my screen shot. When I open the pdf, the properties say "commenting not allowed". Since I'm the creator of the document from Word 2007, how do I enable commenting? Where is the setting I should change?

When a co-worker tried the same steps on their PC, they were able to access the commenting toolbar and "circle in red" certain their cut and paste document. Please help.

My Product Information:
Reader 8.1.7, Windows
gkaiseril
Expert
Your product post is Reader, so unless you have extended commenting rights to the PDF your product will not add comments. You need the full Acrobat version to add comments.

George Kaiser

stan1
Based on the Reader 8 user manual, Reader 8 has a commenting capability - see page 54, copied below: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/pdfs/reader_user_guide.pdf

Commenting
Commenting and markup tools overview
Commenting tools are available only in PDFs that have commenting enabled. PDFs in a review workflow typically include commenting rights.
You use commenting and markup tools (View > Toolbars > Comment &Markup) to add comments. Comments are notes and drawings that communicate ideas or provide feedback for PDFs. You can type a text message using the Sticky Note tool, or you can use a drawing tool to add a line, circle, or other shape and then type a message in the associated pop-up note. Text editing tools let you add editing marks to indicate changes you want in the source document. Most commenting and markup tools don’t appear in the toolbar until you add them.Also, here: http://www.webbriefcase.net/2006-12/adobe-acrobat-reader-8-released/
Here’s a list of new features to check out on the newly released Acrobat Reader 8 that I grabbed from around the net. I haven’t figured out how to use all of them just yet:

* Booklet printing – Print pages as a simple booklet, for example, 2-up, saddle-stitched.
* New zoom, pan and loupe features.
* Commenting, review and markup enhancements – View and accurately place callout and cloud markups as you apply them.

Since I'm the originator of the document, that I converted from Word 2007 to a pdf, how do I allow commenting? Help anyone?
gkaiseril
Expert
And as the note on page 54 states:
Quote:
Commenting tools are available only in PDFs that have commenting enabled. PDFs in a review workflow typically include commenting rights.
So it is very clear that the PDF you want to comment on in Reader must have commenting rights enabled by Acrobat before Reader will be able to comment on that PDF.

George Kaiser

stan1
Thanks. I was assuming that since I generated the pdf file from Word 2007, that I would have commenting rights to it. I guess I don't.