These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

8.1.2 Is there a bug??Conversion Button gone???and Window won't close

jimberlin

Last night I got a notice about a new Acrobat Update so I downloaded it, making it Acrobat Standard 8.1.2

When I began working on a Word document today I noticed the convert to PDF file buttons were missing from my Word Document tool bar. So I went to my Control Panel and reinstalled Acrobat 8.1.2. I resarted my computer BUT STILL NO buttons. What's up???

As I was writing this post I discovered another problem that makes me think that something is not right in the Acrobat program. To see what version I now have I opened the Acrobat software, opened the About Adobe Acrobat - where it tells me that I have version 8.1.2, BUT NOW that window won't close. Everything I click just beeps and I can't close it. I will have to shut down my computer. What's up with that????

Did I download a virus? Or is there a bug in the update?

What can I do to fix this?

I think what I will do for now is Restore my system to a pre-update version and then maybe someone can give me some advice.

HELP PLEASE!!!

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
It sounds as though your PDF Maker macro was put on the disabled list when the 8.1.2 update was installed. Here are the steps to add it back:
Remove Adobe PDF from the Disabled Items list in Microsoft Office Applications. To remove it from the list you can do the following:
Open the Microsoft Office program.
Go to Help > About [program name].
Click Disabled Items.
Select Adobe PDF from the list and click Enable.
Quit the Microsoft Office program and then restart it.

There are additional troubleshooting tips in the FAQ in this forum at:
http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=1826

The Help --> About Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional window is goofy in that you need to click anywhere on the About window to close it and it won't let you do anything else until you do -- I've have the same problem.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

jimberlin
Thanks.

I found the enable addin in Word and enabled the PDF AddIn as suggested. I thought it would work, BUT Nope. When I try to run Microsoft Word now it says there is a conflict with PDF Maker and it asks me to disable the addin. I don't disable and then my application shuts down.

I reinstall Microsoft Office hoping that would do something but no such luck. It is doing the same thing.

There is something else wrong. It seems like there is a realconflict between Microsoft Word 2003 Office and Acrobat.

I'm kind of lost about what to do.

I have follow several suggested fixes without success.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
If you reinstalled Word then the macro from Acrobat was removed during the reinstall. Try running the Help --> Repair Acrobat Installation in Acrobat while no other applications are running.Are you running any other versions of Acrobat/Reader or Microsoft Works on your system?

jimberlin
This is getting very frustrating. I did everything you said.

"Try running the Help --> Repair Acrobat Installation in Acrobat while no other applications are running."I also deleted Acrobat Reader 8.1.2

(but I still have Adobe Digital Editions and Adobe Flash on my computer.)

After doing those things still No Change.

Here's what keeps happening:

After I enable the add-in and then open Acrobat 8 and try to create a PDf from a Word document these are the messages that pop-up.

FIRST:
Runtime Error!
Program c:\....\WINWORD. exe
The application requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support tem for more information.

SECOND:
Then about 15 seconds later this message pops-up over the top of the first message:
The security level is too high. Please run the applic. which created this document, in the Security Warning dialog, select the check box Always Trust Macros from this sourceand enable Macros created by Adobe Systems Inc.

I went to Word, Tools, Macros, Security but I didn't find any box to check for Adobe Macro.

I then lowered the Word Security level from High to Low. I restarted everything.
Still, no changes.

HELP!!!!
jimberlin
FINALLY!!!

It was a damaged normal.dot Global Template in Word. I just had to rename the file and everything looks like it is working correctly now.

Thanks for all your time and help.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Great -- I'm glad that worked. I was beginning to wonder if it had anything to do with your global template since you were getting an error in Word.

novatimo
jimberlin wrote:
FINALLY!!! It was a damaged normal.dot Global Template in Word. I just had to rename the file and everything looks like it is working correctly now.
lkassuba wrote:
Great -- I'm glad that worked. I was beginning to wonder if it had anything to do with your global template since you were getting an error in Word.
I'm having the same problem as jimberlin had with Acrobat Pro 8.1.2, but in my case it's with Word in Office '97. I wanted to try jimberlin's renaming fix by opening Windows Explorer then navigating to Program Files > Microsoft Office > Templates, but the normal.dot file is not listed. I then tried opening Word and selecting Tools > Templates and Add-ins, where a "Document Template" field appears and the Normal.dot is listed in that field, and a button next to it that's labeled "Attach". But I'm not sure what I should rename the Normal.dot file to.Any suggestions about a detailed step-by-step procedure would be most appreciated.