These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

9.2 and 8.1.7 security changes - backward step, proxy authentication

iturner

We just updated to 9.2 and 8.1.7 of Acrobat and Adobe Reader on our SME network (Windows XP SP3 clients connected to Microsoft SBS2003 Premium server, so a typical SME setup).

When I then tried the usual [Check for Updates] I was unpleasantly surprised to see a previous problem appear - Acrobat and Adobe Reader both refused to connect to the internet without manual authentication to the Proxy Server.

This was a major problem with Acrobat/Reader (and CS) until fairly recently when I assume the teams responded to complaints and modified the apps so that updates could occur without someone manually traipsing around client machines to enter authentication details.

Now we are back to square one - can someone please advise if this issue is 'accidental' (and hopefully therefore to soon be remedied) or if it was a deliberate move?

If the latter, I'd be interested to hear the justification behind it - it is making Reader in particular more trouble than it is worth to install.

My Product Information:
Reader 9.2, Windows
dthanna
ExpertTeam
Iturner,

Unfortunately I cannot provide an answer to this one as we do not use Adobe's Check for Updates system. Our deployed versions, built with the Customization Wizard, have the feature disabled. In turn, we push out the appropriate updates as they are released.

One could only hazard to guess as to why the feature is now broken. From the acidental, backleveleing the code, to the purposeful, a bug was found in the updater logic that could be exploited.

I would suggest that you submit a feature/bug request form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I cannot comment on how responsive Adobe will be to your plea, but, as far as I am aware, this is the official front end for such items.

While not the answer you were looking for, at least a direction to turn.

Sincerely,
-Doug

Douglas Hanna is a member of the Production Print Technology team at Aon.
www.aonhewitt.com

iturner
Thanks Doug,

Have posted the info to the Bug form as suggested.
natberg
I encountered the same problem and in my business proxy usage is naturally a concern. Did you find a solution for this iturner?

Marketing Manager for anonymousproxies.za.net

dthanna
ExpertTeam
Natascha,

Post a bug fix as well. More postings, more attention. Please don't go and stuff the ballot box 'Chicago Style'. They do have methods to weed out the same post from multiple individuals.

Thanks

Doug

Douglas Hanna is a member of the Production Print Technology team at Aon.
www.aonhewitt.com