These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 8.1.2 button function will not launch .pdx file

Pepy3

We have a number of customers who use our document index.

We have created PDF files, and a Document Index high level PDF file with a button that should launch the .pdx file. We then created a document index.

When we deploy, the XP users can push the button to launch the search of the pdx.

Vista users cannot launch the pdx from the button. They can drill down into the file and open the pdx manually, but not from our high level document index.

Their Acrobat Reader can open and read the PDF file, but cannot use the button to launch the search index.

HELP!

My Product Information:
Reader 8.1.2, Windows
Pepy3
More details!!!

The button Properties are set to:
Mouse Up
Open a File
Action: File is selected to the .pdx file path

We have tested this on Vista and XP, and if we use the same command with a Word document or another .PDF file, it opens the .DOC or .PDF document from the button launch.

But, it does not open the document from the button launch if the document/file is a .PDX file.
gkaiseril
Expert
A PDX file is the PDF index file produced by the Catalog action in Arobat. This file is to be attached to a PDF and used the the search interface or JS object and not directrly opened by Acrobaty or Reader. This file is not a text document but a binary coded file of index words and locations within files.

You either add it as the location to search in the Search UI, attach it to PDFs as an index file to be searched, or use the "addIndex()" method in JS.

George Kaiser

Pepy3
We use a PDF document with a button "linked" where the action OPENS the .pdx file.

I know what a .PDX is. And what it does. We are using a PDF document with a BUTTON in it that has an action to OPEN THE .PDX to enable users to search. It has worked very nicely for years. But now our Windows Vista users cannot use this button action.

It works just fine on XP systems. Button action works just fine on VISTA to launch (open) another PDF or .DOC, but:

On a VISTA OS, the button action in a PDF document, which is programmed to open a .PDX -->> DOES NOT WORK.We have done the testing to prove this: tried it with XP. IT WORKS. We tested it with VISTA. The BUTTON action which should open a .pdx does not open it.

On a VISTA system, you can open the .pdx file from the folder, but you cannot---use the button programmed in a PDF document to open .PDX file.

We need help with this part: The BUTTON action which should open a .pdx does not open it.

I need help.
thank you.
gkaiseril
Expert
Are there any errors in the JavaScript console?

What is the return value from the call?

Is the PDX on a networked drive or a web server?

Have you tried wrapping your code in the "try{ } catch(e) {}" statement?

George Kaiser

gkaiseril
Expert
I have disceted the PDX file, and there is not reference to a given PDF like in the FDF or XFDF.

I also tried clicking on a PDX for associated with 10 PDF files and my Windows XP locked.

See "Indexing doesn't work", http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=13524

This reminds me of a carpenter that only knows how to hammer and has a hard time using wood screws.

George Kaiser

Pepy3
thanks for trying, but I have looked at that particular forum link you provided already. It is in reference to embedding an index into one PDF just to make that particular PDF search faster.

My situation is we have a folder FULL of PDF files that we are setting up a Catalog and index to search all the documents. Again, we find no issue in XP, but cannot get Vista to play nice.

I will see if a programmer can look with me at the calls.
Pepy3
We have now upgraded to Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended and are able to create the correct links to open the .pdx file.