These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 9 Pro Problem Word 2003 - Keeps prompting to save template

ebideau

We installed Acrobat 9 Pro on several computers and on each of them we now get a message when we attempt to exit Word.

"Changes have been made that affect the Global Template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?"

This message runs every single time you try to exit Word, regardless of whether any changes have actually been made or not.

We have been running Acrobat for years, going back to Version 6 and we have never experienced this problem before.

This is a terrible nuisance.

A call to Acrobat tech support got nothing but frustration and a "helper" who had a mere nodding acquaintance with English.

Obviously Acrobat 9 Pro is messing with Word. The only way you can get it to quit is to remove the plug in on the toolbar and that is a pain, losing the functionality we had with version 8.

Can anyone help us with this problem?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.1.3, Windows
janericster
We have the same problem on many computers here. Hoping someone has the solution!
frazmi
No solution here... but the same problem. Total annoyance. I've tried removing the addin from Word without effect (in the macro manager).
LG
We have the same problem with our Global Tempalate and Acrobat 9 Std.
The Acrobat support staff have no answers to give and no understanding about Global Templates in Word 2003. :(
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you provide details on what OS you are running?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

LG
We are using XP pro, eng version.
Eringath
I also am experiencing this problem. I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, version 9.2.0. Word 2003 sp3, and Windows XP Pro, sp3.

Any help understanding and resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Crash03
We are also experiencing an identical issue. Acrobat Pro 9.3 (updated this morning), on Windows Server 2003 with Citrix Metaframe 4.0. Every citrix server installed with Acrobat Pro 9 is showing this same issue. Office 2003 SP3 and latest updates installed. Normal.dot template is read-only and shared by all users across the network.
We were running Acrobat 7 prior to installing 9 and had no such problems with 7. Any help would really be appreciated as we have applications which automatically create documents in Word and this is hampered by this message.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
ebideau wrote:
We installed Acrobat 9 Pro on several computers and on each of them we now get a message when we attempt to exit Word."Changes have been made that affect the Global Template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?"

This message runs every single time you try to exit Word, regardless of whether any changes have actually been made or not.

We have been running Acrobat for years, going back to Version 6 and we have never experienced this problem before.

This is a terrible nuisance.

A call to Acrobat tech support got nothing but frustration and a "helper" who had a mere nodding acquaintance with English.

Obviously Acrobat 9 Pro is messing with Word. The only way you can get it to quit is to remove the plug in on the toolbar and that is a pain, losing the functionality we had with version 8.

Can anyone help us with this problem?
Are you launching two version of Word simultaneously? Do you have any other add-ins in MS Word that might interfere with Acrobat?

Have you tried unchecking "Prompt to Save Normal Template" in the Save tab of the Word Options menu?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

Crash03
I found a potential way around this problem here: http://www.vbforums.com/archive/index.php/t-301320.php. Adding the couple of lines from the last post to the normal.dot template stops word from trying to save it every time it closes.
I'd still like to know what changes the PDFMaker macro is trying to make to the normal.dot template and why this is a new behaviour in version 9 of Acrobat.
DanGuinan
We have the same problem and have had a ticket open with Adobe since last summer. Still no resolution.

Dan Guinan
Forms & Insurance Technology