These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat not playing with Office 2007

LKammer

Hi all,

firstly, I'm new here.

hopefully somebody can answer this question, it's been bugging me for a while, and I cannot seem to find a workaround (save moving everyone to Foxit)

We have an in house ms-access app which sends customised reports through email via pdf...
The office "Saveas PDF and XPS" plugin is installed with this application.

the files sent will not open with Acrobat reader, but will with Foxit reader.

now here's the fun part,
not everyone has this problem,
and it's with different versions of Acrobat reader (8.1 and 9), it's not just an incompatibility issue.

have tried re-installing Acrobat reader.
also tried turning off the ISO 19005-1 compliance.
and tried disabling many of the features with the PDF creator...

all to no avail.

wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem, is there something I am missing.
is there something Acrobat does or does not have that Foxit does?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Leon

My Product Information:
Reader 9.0, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Welcome! Can you post a sample problem file? [url=http://acrobat.com]Acrobat.com[/url] has a free service for posting files.

Is this a corporate deployment of Reader?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

daka630
Expert
Leon,
Just some observations.

You seem to be saying the the output PDF(s), of the MS Access report, are being produced by the Microsoft "Save As PDF and XPS"; if so,
then any tweaks on Adobe PDFMaker or Adobe Distiller job options will have no effect on the PDF creation process.

To assess the impact of any tweaks to Adobe PDFMaker or Adobe Distiller job options you would have to have the MS Access "input" processed by either Adobe PDFMaker or Adobe Distiller. Not the Microsoft "Save As PDF and XPS".

If "Save As PDF and XPS" is being used then something to look at would be the Office SP in use. A representative sample might be helpful.
The recent Office 2007 SP includes "Save As PDF and XPS" which, to me, appears more mature than the first, downloadable plug-in, available for earlier Office 2007 SPs. So, I guess a question to ask would be "Is everyone on the same page?" vis-a-vis the MS "Save As PDF and XPS".

Be well...

Be well...

LKammer
Hi,

thanks for the speedy response,

lkassuba:

yes, this is a coporate deplayment of reader 9.1

I have included a sample of what the application produces, I tried to open the file this morning, and it produced half of the document, and then acrobat reader 9.1 ceased operating.

when I attempt to open the file on my local disk, Reader hangs.

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=8910ed22-f595-4abf-8afd-37baadc16dc4

daka630:

the version of Access is rather old (Access 2007 sp1), we moved to 2007 rather early on, so the plugin has been installed on the PCs of every user.

the Access application saves the report as a pdf, distiller, or creator does not get involved.
I will try to implement the latest SP, and see what happens with regard to this.

Many Thanks

Leon
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you provide further background on your OS? Also, are you attempting to open these files from within your email application (I'm assuming this is Outlook) or with a browser? If it is a browser, is this Preference set in Reader? Edit > Preferences > Internet category and Select "Display PDF in browser"Have you tried saving the PDF to a non-temporary location and then opening? Also, have you tried removing browser temp files?

Do any of your systems have multiple versions of Reader and/or Acrobat installed?

LKammer
Hi and thanks,

The OS is WinXP Pro.

The application sends the PDF file(s) as an attachment via email (Groupwise 7) from this end, to a recipient (Groupwise, and Outlook 2003).
the default settings for this allow for the file to be opened with it's native viewer on the computer.

one of the Acrobat users here suggested the user saves the file, then opens Adobe reader, and then opens the PDF document, when this happens it opens fine.

it just seems to be when the file is opened from explorer, or the email application, Adobe reader hangs, and the PDF file becomes locked.

Cheers

Leon
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Your file appears to be fine and without any syntax issues so my guess is that the issue is related to the temporary storage location. Especially since users are able to save the file elsewhere and then open it. Have you seen some of the other forum discussions on not being able to open PDFs in Outlook 2003. For example, here is one:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/c58ac4a5-16b7-4531-973d-30229ba29e5c

LKammer
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Groupwise saves the file to a network drive, none of the emails are saved on the user's computer unless they choose to, Groupwise is set so the file is opened from the network location where it is stored, I have checked the Registry, and there are no settings available for temporary file locations.

I have installed Office SP2 onto some people's machines, still no change.

I had one of the Pro users recompile a Word document with their version (v 5 comp.).
I placed the file on a network drive, and people are having the same problem.

Can open the file correctly if they open reader first, then navigate to the file from Reader.
else the reader will hang and the file will become locked.

Would there be any case whereby a lack of available resources would not allow Reader to open the file correctly when double clicking (or right click open)? most of the machines here have 512mb RAM.

Cheers

Leon
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Are you in a Windows Terminal Service environment? Have you tried creating a new user account at all?

Also, is this Groupwise Webmail? If so, do you have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" enabled in the browser?

LKammer
Hi, and thanks,

the Groupwise setup we use internally is a Fat client environment (although is available as webmail (and I can open the files from home using Adobe reader 8.1)).

We use a LDAP Protocol within a Novell environment.

All users have Adobe reader 9.1.2 (a few have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.1)
All users have the same version of office 2007 (Enterprise)
All users have the same version of Novell GroupWise running on their PCs.
Most users are running Windows XP Pro (Corp) OS (a few on Vista Business)
Most users are running 512Mb RAM

Originally this started out with a few people advising that they could not open PDF/A files created by Office, on further investigation, these same people cannot open the files created within Acrobat 9.1, but can open files created with AMYUNI PDF converter 2.50d-1 which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the environment or specific install.

This may explain why the files will cause Reader to hang when double clicking on the file, but Fox-it opens the files, will re-install Reader, and see if this helps.

Cheers

Leon
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
To determine if it has something to do with the software packaging, you might try downloading Reader 9 and installing it (perhaps on a non-production system) and see if has any problems opening your files.

LKammer
Hi,

and thanks.

Downloaded Acrobat reader 9.1
and all is fine until I hit one of the files created within the Access Application.

anything converted with Text is fine (converted a couple of 2000 page Database Documents), however (don't know if this is coincidence) anything with an image embedded, (all 24 bit BMP) it crashes on double click on a few machines, but will open fine if opening Reader, then navigating to the File.

I have tried to change the images to JPEG and PNG, still no luck.

Cheers

Leon
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Does the System or Application Log files give you any insight? This [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403720.php]technical note (step 16)[/url] explains how to view this for Windows XP.

Do these machines have other versions of Acrobat and/or Reader or 3rd party PDF tools on them?