Running Windows 7 Professional.
Per a Windows Action Center recommendation (It said Adobe Reader had failed, but I didn't see it crash.), and said that I should Uninstall Adobe Reader and download and install a new copy.
I uninstalled with the Windows 7 Programs and Features, and downloaded the new Adobe Reader X, and ran the downloaded installer. Nothing visible happened, so after a few minutes, I re-did the download and ran the new installer. It said that only one copy could be running. I checked the Task Manager, and evidently the original installer was still running. I stopped the running process. Then re-booted and ran the new installer. It displayed no error. After thirty minutes of no apparent activity, I checked the Task Manager, and the installer was still running, and showed no processor activity.
I then stopped that process, and ran regedit, and removed all references to Adobe Reader, AcroRd, AcroRd32, and Acrobat. Then downloaded a new installer and tried the installation again. No change. The installer runs with no error, but does nothing. I've also re-tried with my anti-virus and Windows Firewall turned off, and still no success.
Please advise. Thank you.