These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Deployment problem with acrobat 9 pro and the 9.1.1 updater file

ConfigAdmin
Answered

Hello

I have a volume license of acrobat 9 pro that I have been trying to deploy in my test environment on windows XP with configuration manager 2007(AKA) SMS. I used the customization wizard to create a mst file along with the sms definition file as per the enterprise deployment instructions.
I followed the steps to add the msp 9.1.0 update file to the setup.ini file and my deployment was successful.

There is now a new update msp for acrobat 9 pro 9.1.1 and I follow the steps that i used for the setup.ini. I remove the lines for the old update file,and add the lines referencing the 9.1.1 update msp file. I also place the file in my installation folder and ran the customization wizard that update my mst file,setup.ini and the sms definition file.

When I deployed a new package with Configuration manager acrobat ran and a dialog box appeared asking the user if they wanted to modify, repair, or remove acrobat 9 Pro rather than install the program with the new updates. My user do not have admin rights and the installation is suppose to run silent, with no user interaction and suppress reboot.

Can someone tell me if this the correct way to proceed with deploying acrobat 9 Pro along with the updates perhaps I am missing something?

Thank you

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.1.1, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
You'll need to make a small modification to the setup.ini file as detailed in Joel's blog on [url=http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfitmatters/2009/03/directions_for_including_the_9.php]Directions for Including the 9.1 Patch to an Existing Installer[/url].

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

Datana
Actually, lkassuba, it sounds like ConfigAdmin's already done that for the 9.1 patch. What he wants to know is how to also include the 9.1.1 patch in the same installer. I'm a bit curious about this as well; I've attempted to append the 9.1.1 *.msp into the PATCH line of setup.ini delimited by a semicolon, as well as creating a second PATCH line, both with no success.

ConfigAdmin: As 9.1.1 is an incremental update on 9.1.0, you can't just replace 9.1.0 with 9.1.1 in setup.ini. What you're supposed to do is something that I've been trying to figure out as well, as PATCH seems to only allow for one patch and I'm not sure if it's possible to merge msps. I tried merging the msps with the MSI, but this led to installation errors (the installer wouldn't acknowledge the serial input via the MST as being valid, among other things).
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
You can add a semicolon between the patches as follows:
PATCH=AcrobatUpd901_all_incr.msp;AcrobatUpd911_all_incr.msp

Datana
Thanks, that did it. What I was doing was putting double quotes around each file name (so "AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp";"AcrobatUpd911_all_incr.msp"), which causes only the first patch to be recognized.
ConfigAdmin
I took a liltle break from this and now I am back at it again. I will give this another try using the semicolon. I am using the same update files that Datana is using hopefully this will work. I am also following the direction from the Adobe Acrobat 9 deployment on Microsoft System Manager Server.
ConfigAdmin
OK! it worked finally. What I did is include both patches in the setup.ini. I did not re-customize the mst file. I just open the setup.ini file and added the patch entry. If I have to add a third patch I'm hoping to just add another entry.

I think my problem was that I add the patch files in setup.ini and then created my mst file which included my license key, and custom setting. I used the wrong syntax at the command line in system center.

Regards
ChrisL
I have Acrobat Pro (9.0) on my iMac. I keep trying to load the update, but always get this message:
The patch has failed because the application has been modified since it was originally installed (for example, plug-ins may have been disabled).
Please go to the Adobe support website for more information regarding how to re-enable disabled components prior to installing the patch. Or, you can uninstall and reinstall the application, and then reinstall the patch.

What do I need to do (step-by-step procedure, please)?

Thanks.

C. Luhn

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
This [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407621.php]technical note[/url] should help address the issue.

ChrisL
Sorry to say, it did not work. I tried both ways, finally creating a new Admin account, logging in under that, and attempting installation of the 9.1 update. I got the same error message as reported in my post of 7-25-09. Any other ideas? (Note: the link you gave was instructions on installing to Acrobat 8 Professional. I assumed that the same procedures applied for those with Acrobat 9 Pro, as well. If not, please advise.)

Thanks.

C. Luhn

sbemister
So, I have deployed Acrobat Reader 9.1 using Group Policy some time ago. I have now gone back and added the line in the setup.ini as noted above. How do I tell Active Directory to install the patch on everyone's computer?