These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Downloading Reader 9.4 fails in win7/64bit/Firefox 3.6.12 due to !missing plugin!, that is already installed!

Fredrik

I'm sorry to have to ask for help on such a simple problem.

I just built a new PC and installed win 7, 64 bit and I'm runnign firefox 3.6.12 and in order to read manuals on other stuff I need to get adobe reader.

The problem is that I can't even download. All these "intelligent" downloaders are just causing all kinds of useless problems.

I goto get.adobe.com, and when start download this happens:

1. On the top the browser says I need additional addin/plugin modules, specifically it asks for the "getplusadobe 16291". If I go ahead the automatic installation fails, I do a manual install. But adobe DLM 1.6.2.90 is already installed! I tried to remove and reinstall the addon but it doesnä't help.

I simply can't get pass this. I tried restarting etc etc, but each time the website gets stuck due to a missing addon that IS already installed.

What happened to the good old, well working & foolproof, plain DOWNLOAD of the offline instalation software?

Does someone how I can simply install adobe reader?

The best solution is if adobe has just a good old download directory where I can download the version I need? I browser all over their site but I don't find it.

The only inconsistency I see is that I have installed already DLM 1.6.2.90, but the error message says 1.6.2.91 is needed, BUT when I go ahead and try a manual install of 1.6.2.91 - the file that the site actually points me to is 1.6.2.90 - NOT 1.6.2.91.

Help is much appreciated.

/Fredrik

My Product Information:
Reader, Windows
Fredrik
While I still don't know exactly where the problem is, I tried to download the reader from IE8 instead and that worked fine. Oddly however I noticed that the SAME adobe site, looks different in IE and Firefox. Firefox gave me the option during download to NOT get along the mcafeee stuff... IE did not give me that option.

So maybe adobe websites dynamical response depending on which browser is used is the problem.

/Fredrik

UVSAR
Expert
Although the installed image of Adobe Reader is always the same, the Adobe download manager is different for IE and non-IE browsers, as their support for plugins is different.

Offline installers (.exe versions) are available, though not directly from the download page. They are intended for redistribution, therefore to access them requires you to go through a license application process.