These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Error 1500

rbballard

I am having a problem with one workstation that gets a pop-up for "Update is ready to install" for Reader. (Currently installed is Reader 9.3) When the user selects the update to install, the following error is returned:
"Cannot install the update. Please run Adobe Reader Repair" Error 1500

1. Searching the Adobe support site and this site I cannot find "Adobe Reader Repair" (I assume it is a utility), and "Error 1500 returns" information that does not apply.
2. Other posts have led me to try the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility which has no effect on this problem.
3. Windows uninstall for Adobe Reader 9.3 returns the error, "Installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."
4. When attempting re-install using the full downloaded version of Reader 9.3, the same error as 3 above is returned.
5. In the meantime, the "Update is ready to install" pop-up nag keeps returning.

System is Windows XP SP3 with all current updates. The only other Adobe products on this machine are Flash Player 10 and Lightroom 3 Beta.

Help

My Product Information:
Reader 9.3, Windows
hitanand
You can directly download the Reader 9.3.2 patch from mentioned path below:

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.2/misc/AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp

Download it and double click to apply the patch manually.
rbballard
hitanand:

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the 9.3.2 patch from the link you provided and it returns the error, "Installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it." (Same as in item 3 in my original post)

The "installation source" appears to be there, but the installers/updates are not recognizing it. Although I tried to do an uninstall of Reader to start clean, I can't uninstall at all as there is no option in the Windows Add/Remove Programs. Adobe Reader 9.3 shows up there, but there is no "remove" button.

Do you know anything about the "Adobe Reader Repair" referenced by the original error?

Thanks for your time.
Westwood Mike
I'm having the exact same problems as rbballard - both with the automatic update and the patch suggested by hitanand.
princesslady
Am having the exact same problems and have tried everything I could. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
aroadmn
Same problem 8.1.7

aroadmn

gwbann
Same problem here too.

George

radiodude
Windows XP service pack 3. Same problem as all of you.

It is annoying to have adobe updater constantly trying to run an update that will not run. I tried the service patch and ran it directly and had the exact problem with the "original source". I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe 9.3 three times.

I even tried to roll back to version 8 something. Doesn't anyone have a fix for this? Does anyone have an alternate program if Abode is this broken? I've used Adobe for over 10 years and liked it a lot. But this problem has been ongoing for over 30 days.

rbballard and I have followed the exact same steps with no success.
I have flashplayer 10 but not Lightroom.

Help or alternatives.
rbballard
FYI - I am now having the exact same problem on a second computer in my office. Same XP SP3, flash, etc., but no other Adobe products on the CP.

With Adobe wanting to always manage the download, try to install some 3rd party crap unless you un-check the box, nag constantly whenever there is an update, and then have so many problems with the updates, I am with radiodude - I am looking for an alternate program.
aroadmn
You can turn off Adobe automatic updater under edit; preferences.

aroadmn

rbballard
aroadmn

aroadmn wrote:
You can turn off Adobe automatic updater under edit; preferences.
Thanks - At least this will stop the annoying nag. Now, if we could only find an answer to the problem...

Has anybody even heard of "Adobe Reader Repair" that is referenced in the error?
aroadmn
Don't know if it's in Reader but in Acrobat under 'Help' is repair installation. However when I choose it a window flashes very quickly then nothing. Can't tell if it did anything? Still won't update.

aroadmn

rbballard
aroadmn wrote:
Don't know if it's in Reader but in Acrobat under 'Help' is repair installation. However when I choose it a window flashes very quickly then nothing. Can't tell if it did anything? Still won't update.
In Reader under the Help menu the item is "Repair Adobe Reader Installation". Unfortunately, it does the same thing - a quick window flashes, then nothing. The update still will not install and returns the same error as above, i.e. error,

"Installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."
aroadmn
Think I'll try these 2 options, when I have the time.
#1 Check with Adobe - is update is worth my time.
#2 Since Windows won't uninstall and won't reinstall from disc, then remove Adobe Acrobat 8.1.7 with Windows Install Cleanup or I prefer Revo Uninstaller. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.php

Reinstall and permanently save installation files on hard disk. I'll let you know outcome.

aroadmn

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
You might also try uninstalling your current Reader from the Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. If that also gives you an error, remove it using the [url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/]Windows Installer Cleanup Utility[/url].

Once removed, download the installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US.ex e (English version); save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

Also, make sure you're running the install as admin. Plus, certain anti-virus software can interfere with the install as well.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

rbballard
Thanks for your response. Original post items #2 and #3 state Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and Windows uninstall (Add/Remove Programs) do not work - see errors returned.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Westwood Mike
I have a small business - now all four XP SP3 computers have this problem.
realmrealm
Redirected "My Documents"?

This was the problem for me.

User had "My Documents" redirected to a network drive.

This had posed an issue in installing Acrobat 9 Standard also. (I had to un-redirect the "My Documents" to install that also.)

Once I changed the "My Documents" folder to point to the correct location:
Vista/Win7 = c:\users\USERNAME\My Documents
XP = c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\My Documents
..... all worked well, and then I turned off updating (i don't reccomend this), and redirected "My Documents" again.

Why adobe can't deal with a redirected "My Documents" is beyond me. This is common place in a corporate environment.

My System: Win7 with Acrobat Standard 9 and adobe reader 9

Soap Box:
Registering for this site just to share what I found was a huge pain in the neck. It would not take my 9 digit - upper, lower, and numbers password. I needed to add a symbol. For a forum that is really crazy.
/Soap Box

Hope this helps out!

-AndyS-

-AndyS-

rbballard
Thanks for the try on the redirected 'My Documents' folder. Unfortunately none of the computers I am having the problem with has a redirected folder.

The only thing I have done that helps is to disable the updates. In Reader, select the Edit menu, then Preferences. Go to the bottom of the page and select Updater, then check the "Do not download or install updates automatically" button.

This DOES NOT correct Adobe's problem, but at least it stops the constant nagging. Perhaps someone from Adobe will eventually figure out the problem (it seems to be quite common). If not, maybe it will be fixed in a future release or update.

In the meantime I am checking out Reader alternatives. I have had it with intrusive, buggy software.

Good luck to all - I hope you have better results than I have had.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
If this is still an outstanding issue for you, the following information will help:
1: Open the log.
2: Find the installer error and HEX number. (e.g. Error Code: 0x5DE)

Here is how you view the System and Application Log:

1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel, and double-click Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Event Viewer, select System or Application Log in the Event Viewer window, and note the following:
* A white x in a red circle indicates that a service or driver is stopped (i.e., it didn't start or load).
* A black exclamation point in a yellow triangle warns of a possible future problem, such as low disk space.

Note: You can ignore warnings that indicate a new printer driver was installed.
3. For more information about an entry, right-click it, choose Properties from the pop-up menu, and read the Description section. If you can't determine which events are related to the problem, then re-create the System or Application Log:
1. Open Event Viewer, right-click the System or Application Log, and choose Clear All Events from the pop-up menu. To save the current System or Application Log, click Yes when Windows returns the message "Do you want to save 'System Log' before clearing it?"
2. Close Event Viewer, and try to re-create the problem.
3. After the problem recurs, open Event Viewer and view the System or Application Log.
4. Note the description, source, and EventID, and search for a solution to the error on the Microsoft website at http://support.microsoft.com , or contact Microsoft or the hardware vendor for assistance.

rbballard
lkassuba:

Many thanks for the detailed instructions. After saving and clearing the event logs, I find information regarding the installation error in the Application log. When I submit it to Microsoft, this is what returns.

Details
ID: 11708
Source: MsiInstaller

We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or
Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine
whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us identify those areas for which we
need to provide more information.

0000: 7b 41 43 37 36 42 41 38 {AC76BA8
0008: 36 2d 37 41 44 37 2d 31 6-7AD7-1
0010: 30 33 33 2d 37 42 34 34 033-7B44
0018: 2d 41 39 33 30 30 30 30 -A930000
0020: 30 30 30 30 31 7d 00001}

Searching on the hex codes provides no response through the Microsoft Support site, but provides tons of returns on the Reader install problem, and also through Google search. Most of the links I follow have been the same problem with Reader or Acrobat not installing/updating, and there are no responses to the problem outside what I have already been through.

This problem now appears to me to be way more common than I previously thought.
rbballard
PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I ran CCleaner and got rid of all the temp files, then ran the Registry scan and fixed all the issues with my registry.

After reading posts in other forums about this same problem, I realized I was not using the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility properly. I thought that it was just running a clean up directly, but instead, it installed a program under Start - All Programs - "Windows Install Clean up". When I ran that program I was able to select "(All Users) Adobe Reader 9.3.x" and it totally removed Reader from my computer and it no longer showed up under Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

Once it was uninstalled, I was able to re-install Reader 9.3 clean, then I did the 9.3.2 update and everything works properly.

Here is the link to CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Here is the link to Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Here is the link to the Adobe Reader 9.3.0 install: (link above in the forum is broken)

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US.exe

Here is the link to the Adobe Reader 9.3.2 update:

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.2/misc/AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp

I hope this works for the rest of you that have been having the same problem as me.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
rbballard wrote:
PROBLEM SOLVED!!I ran CCleaner and got rid of all the temp files, then ran the Registry scan and fixed all the issues with my registry.

After reading posts in other forums about this same problem, I realized I was not using the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility properly. I thought that it was just running a clean up directly, but instead, it installed a program under Start - All Programs - "Windows Install Clean up". When I ran that program I was able to select "(All Users) Adobe Reader 9.3.x" and it totally removed Reader from my computer and it no longer showed up under Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

Once it was uninstalled, I was able to re-install Reader 9.3 clean, then I did the 9.3.2 update and everything works properly.

Here is the link to CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Here is the link to Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Here is the link to the Adobe Reader 9.3.0 install: (link above in the forum is broken)

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US.exe

Here is the link to the Adobe Reader 9.3.2 update:

I hope this works for the rest of you that have been having the same problem as me.
Thanks so much for posting details on how you fixed the problem.