These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Need Help Upgrading Acrobat 8.0 Professional to 8.1.2

janextine

I am trying to upgrade Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 to 8.1.2, but I'm having some trouble. I downloaded the Acrobat 8.1.2 Pro Patch Updater. When I open the icon, a window opens up that reads:

"Acrobat 8 Pro Patch" is an application which was downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

When I click on 'open,' another window opens that prompts me to choose the copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional to update. When I choose the 'Adobe Acrobat Professional' folder to open, all of the contents in the folder (which includes the Acrobat Professional 8.0 that I want to upgrade) is faded so that I can't select it.

Am I doing something wrong? What do I do to update??

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0, Macintosh
tplumer
Expert
This sounds like a permissions issue. To test that, copy the Acrobat application to the desktop and rerun the updater. Check to see if it *can* update the copied version, but DO NOT DO IT! Then, check to be sure you have read/write access to the Acrobat folder. If not, give yourself permission and try ti again.

I am a long-time Acrobat user, an employee of Adobe Systems, and Maine native. I have created training videos for Total Training, consulted with people to help them better use Acrobat, and developed new business for Adobe as a Business Development Manager

telephonics
Your problem is caused by the updater 5 program not functioning as intended. I've been fighting that problem and I find that the resolution is to find the updater 5 program file and delete it. To do this go to
Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater 5' When you click on the updater 5 folder here you shall also see a number of other read only files. Right click on updater 5 and delete it. This action will then require any updates to be performed manually from the Adobe Update web site.
This solution worked for me. Try it if it doesn't work for you then restore the updater 5 folder from your trash bin

Pres/Ceo Telephonics Management Systems. Consultants to health industry and to Gov't IT.