These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Unable to get Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.3.4 to upgrade to 9.4

Carol_R

I am using a volume license and had successfully already deployed version 9.3.4 via either Group Policy or using the msiexec command at the command line.

I am running Windows XP SP3 and all applicable Microsoft patches have been applied.

Today I downloaded (twice just to make sure that there wasn't a problem with the download after I was having problems) the 9.4 patch from the website http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4851

It stated on the web site that this patch could be applied to either version 9.3.3 or 9.3.4

I have not been able to successfully apply the patch either to my version 9.3.4 AIP folder nor trying to just execute the msp file manually on a PC that has Acrobat Pro 9.3.4 installed.

I get the following error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that have the correct upgrade patch."

I then tried to apply it to version 9.3.3. I was able to get the patch to install on my AIP directory. However, when I ran it on a test PC (that didn't have Acrobat Pro installed on it) using the msiexec command in a command window it failed.

I looked at the log file that I had created with the msiexec command and it gave the error:

"Product: Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro -- 1118xxx (my volume serial #) error."

I checked the mst file just to be sure that it was the correct serial # although it hadn't changed and it was. I also went and checked my Software License Certificate from Adobe and it was the correct serial #. One thing very odd was just before the error line above in the log file there was another line that stated:

"User has entered a volume serial number in a retail build. Rejecting."

The media I have been building off of since version 9.0 and the way through 9.3.4 is not a retail version but a volume version. That seemed off to me.

Any help at all would be appreciated since it is critical that we apply this security patch ASAP to all of our machines here that have Acrobat Pro 9.3.4 installed on them.

Carol R.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro, Windows
jmayol
I'm having same problem and I have a Mac. I'm getting that the patch can't be installed since the app has being modified since it was installed.

gregs
check out this page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.php

Adobe uses Security and Quarterly patches for Acrobat Pro. If you apply a Security patch to an AIP you are kind of hosed.

Acrobat 9.0.0 -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.2.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3 (Quarterly) -> 9.4.0 (Quarterly)is the required path.
jmayol
Right now I have Pro Standard 9.3.4. In order to update to 9.4 I need 9.3.3?
gregs
jmayol wrote:
Right now I have Pro Standard 9.3.4. In order to update to 9.4 I need 9.3.3?
That's the way it works for administrative install points for Windows OSes. I'm not sure how it works for Macs or for individual upgrades for client machines.

When we upgrade our install point we make a copy of the entire directory of the previous version so we have the ability to go back to them later on.
jmayol
So how can I update 9.3.4 to 9.4.0?
gregs
jmayol wrote:
So how can I update 9.3.4 to 9.4.0?
What OS are we talking about? Windows or Mac?

and

Are you trying to update an individual computer or an administrative install point?

The original poster mentioned "Windows and AIP" so I provided the link because it is something I fought with in the past. I'm not sure what the best approach is for Macs or updating individual computers.

jmayol
I have iMac G4 OS 10.4.11
hitanand
Hi jmayol,
What you can do is create a new admin user and then apply 9.4.0 patch from the newly created admin user.
check out this page : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407621.php

jmayol
Didn't work. Hopefully Adobe will fix this patch. Something is wrong since is jumping from 9.3.4 to 9.4.0.
Carol_R
I figured out what my problem was. My build for version 9.3.4 must have had some issues with it. I rebuilt it from further back (fortunately I had saved all of my builds in separate directories) and I was able to get version 9.4 to install from both msiexec and Group Policy.

If you're having problems installing it, I suggest starting from scratch and rebuild you AIP through all of the patches.

Carol R.

jmayol
It looks like I'll have to reinstall Acrobat. We'll see. Glad you fixed your problem.