These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Word 2007/Acrobat 8.1.5

wildchild1954

I have had Word 2007 and Acrobat 8 for a little over a year and they have always worked together perfectly. In the last 2-3 months I have had a problem with converting documents. It will open the convert window and then stop responding. I remove the addin and then add it back in. The conversion process will work fine for anywhere from 2 to maybe 20 documents and then stop responding again.

Since neither Adobe nor Microsoft offer any support for these two programs I am hoping someone on here can tell me how to fix this problem. And please don't suggest I buy Acrobat 9 as I am on a very limited income. I simply want two programs that worked together before to work together again.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 8.1.2, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
What version of Windows are you using? Have you upgraded/reinstalled in the last few months?
Is your copy of Word 2007 personalized? Do you have any problems creating a "Quick and Simple PDF" from Word?

Have you tried doing a Repair Acrobat Installation from under the Help menu?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

wildchild1954
I am using Windows XP Service Pack 2, Word 2007 is personalized, I have never done a "Quick and Simple" since I need full usable PDFs, and yes, I have done a Repair Acrobat for the help menu.

It was working fine this morning and just about half an hour ago it did it again.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Do you have "Accessibility and reflow turned on" when creating your PDFs from Word? Is this the 32- or 64-bit version of XP?

wildchild1954
I have no idea. How do I find out that information?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
To find out what version of Windows you have, you can right-click on My Computer to bring up the System Properties.

To check if "Accessibility and Reflow" is turned on look under the Acrobat ribbon in Word and click Preferences. If this is on, try turning it off prior to creating your PDFs from Word.

wildchild1954
Windows version says Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 (I have no idea how that got there).

Accessibility and Reflow is not checked under Preferences on the Acrobat ribbon. Should I try with it checked maybe?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Are you using Track Changes in any of these files?

At this point, we've followed most of the [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402334.php]technical note[/url] suggestions for this type of error.

The only other thing you might check is to see if [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401734.php]PDFMaker is properly installed[/url] or if another macro is conflicting with it.

wildchild1954
According to your link yes, PDFMaker is properly installed. As far as I know there shouldn't be any other macros interfering with it since I don't have any other macros working. How do I tell if I'm tracking changes? I didn't see anything under the Acrobat ribbon preferences. I also checked preferences in the Acrobat window but didn't see anything there about tracking changes either.
gkaiseril
Expert
Tracking changes is a Word setting "Tools => Options => Track Changes".

George Kaiser

wildchild1954
I have Word 2007 - it doesn't have a Tools menu and I can't find anything under Word Options that says to track changes.
wildchild1954
OK, I found something under Editing that says "Keep Track of Formatting" but that has been checked since I bought the program in 2007. Acrobat always worked with it before. All of this has happened in the last 2-3 months.

The only things I have ever changed under the Word Options are words I have added to the AutoCorrect list since my fingers slip a lot.
wildchild1954
This is getting ridiculous. I was working with PDF Maker all day without a problem and now it hangs up and has to be removed and reinstalled every other time I use it. Is there an update for this stupid addin or what?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Does this happen when you're in Acrobat or just when working with the PDFMaker macro? If it's both then it may be related to a licensing issue. If not, check the Adobe PDF printer properties. In the Properties dialog, what is selected under the Ports tab and the Advanced tab?

wildchild1954
This is related to the PDFMOfficeAddin.dll file. I never create files from within the Acrobat window, it's too much of a hassle to go from one window to another just to create a file. I always convert them from the Office Word window they were created in. I want to point out that I desperately need this fixed. My limited income is derived from converting documents to PDF format for college students who don't feel like doing this themselves.

Under the Ports tab My Documents\*.pdf is checked.

On the Advanced tab Always Available, Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster, and Start printing immediately are checked.

When this happens I get an error message from Office asking if I want to disable the PDFMOfficeAddin.dll due to high occurence of errors.