These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Calculation and Numbers Format not Working in 9.4.2

talithacecile

I have a form with budget fields that need to be calculated. In an earlier version of Acrobat I had no problem with the calculate function. Now, in 9.4.2, setting up the fields exactly the same way, I get nothing.

The fields that are to be calculated (simple adding) are formatted as numbers with commas and no decimals. The form does not add the commas but does allow letters to be entered into those fields!

The field that is set to calculate does nothing at all when numbers are entered into the calculated fields.

However, if I open the form using version 9.0.0, it all works as it should; and if I email myself a copy that was filled out in 9.0.0, and open it in 9.4.2 - it works!

The form was first created by printing the Word document as an Adobe PDF. Then I tried the Save As Adobe PDF function and the Create PDF option from the Acrobat tab in Word - all with the same result. My expertise doesn't go much beyond that (in case you hadn't already figured that out), but I used to be able to create really adequate forms by following the directions in help files or in some expensive books I had to buy. Now, I do what the directions say to do, and it doesn't work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.4.2, Windows
George_Johnson
Expert
Are you performing the calculations with a custom Calculate script, or are you using one of the built-in methods?

I was working with a file from someone the other day that use one of the built-in methods (value is the sum...) that initially behaved the way you're describing. When I deselected and then reselected on of the fields in the list, it started working again. I also duplicated the calculation with a custom script, and it worked as well. This was using Acrobat Pro 9.4.0. I haven't had a chance to delve into it any more, but I will look into this more later...
talithacecile
I use the built in "Value is the (sum +) of the following fields:" method.

I did try deselecting and reselecting the fields from the pic list, because I had had problems with that occasionally in the past. It didn't help. If I knew how to do custom scripts, I would try that; but I'm doing well to do this using the built in functions.
George_Johnson
Expert
After you deselect one of the fields, you need to then close the field properties window, and then open it up again and reselect the field in the list. Is that what you did, and if not, does it make a difference when you do it that way?
talithacecile
I even deselected all of the fields to be calculated and closed the document, reopened the document and reselected all of the fields. It didn't help.

I've just discovered though, that since I first posted here this morning, everything has changed. Evidently when I emailed to myslef the form that I had filled out on the computer with 9.0 and opened it on the computer with 9.4.2, it changed something. I've just opened a blank form in 9.4.2, and the number formatted fields are working as they should, and the calculating fields are as well.

It makes me a little nervous that others who need to use the form will have the same experience, but for now I guess I'm good.

Thanks for your suggestions.