These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

9.1.3 won't open previous .pdf files!!

BKUSER

Hi,
We're experiencing serious issues in my firm : we discovered that a lot of .pdf files won't open anymore with the 9.x.x version !!! (they does with previous versions, 7.x or 8.x) !

This is really a serious issue, as customer receive lot of sales proposals in .pdf format, and won't be able to open them if they are running a 9.x.x version ! And we have a lot of .pdf documents inside that we can't access anymore !

Reader freezes while opening the document. 'Program stops responding'.

Does someone has this issue, and fortunatly a solution ?

My Product Information:
Reader 9.1.3, Windows
try67
Expert
In principle, Reader 9 should be able to open all files created in earlier versions.
Maybe you should post a sample file, or at least describe how the files were created and some more info on what you tried to do to isolate the problem (Can you open other PDF files in Reader?)

- AcrobatUsers Community Expert - Contact me personally at try6767 [at] gmail [dot] com
Check out my custom-made scripts website: http://try67.blogspot.com

BKUSER
I agree but it does not... Fortunatly we have now a 9.2 version which works fine !!!
I think 9.1.x was a terrible mistake...
tedyoung3
I have several .pdf files that were created with Acrobat 5.0. Reader 7.0 refuses to recognize them! I've gone and deleted the Acrobat program. What do I need to do now. I really need access to those files....
BKUSER
Hi, unfortunatly I'm not part of the Adobe support...
You first can try to install 9.2 version which works much better than 9.1.x version (I can now open previous PDF files)
Otherwise try to find a 5.0 version and reinstall to open your files...
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
tedyoung3 wrote:
I have several .pdf files that were created with Acrobat 5.0. Reader 7.0 refuses to recognize them! I've gone and deleted the Acrobat program. What do I need to do now. I really need access to those files....
What type of error (if any) do you receive?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

kathykrueger
When I receive emails with a pdf file attached, I double-click the file and it opens in Notebook as garbage instead of in Acrobat. The only way I can open the file is to copy/paste the file onto my desktop (or elsewhere), open Acrobat, then "file open" from Acrobat to open the file.

WAY frustrating and time consuming!

I used to be able to merely double-click the attachment in the email and the file opens and launches acrobat...that was with a really old version of Arobat. I now have 8.1 Professional and having this problem.

What can I do to make it work?