These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 8 - Outlook 2003 converting e-mail to pdfs

wfm

One of the features I have adored for years with Acrobat was the integration of Acrobat with Outlook and the ability to convert single messages, entire folders of messages and appending additional messages to folders of pdf'd messages.

Version 8.0 seems to have changed the ability to do that in a way that seems irrational to me. Now I get some kind of listing of each message in a separate window, and a single message in a larger window. There is a "find" mini-window in the toolbar that lets me search that single message for anything I want to. The problem here is that I cannot ever remember searching a single message for anything, ever. In the main, I have a tendency to search a group, or folder, of messages for a particular search string. But again, never have I searched just a single message.

The search feature in 8.0 is now reduced to a "find" window in the toolbar. The more robust "search" feature relegated to its standard position beneath the "edit" pulldown. Now this "find" feature, integrated with the single message window feature of 8.0 is akin to what they call down under as a "Clayton's" feature. Clayton's is a non-alcoholic beer, and the jingle goes "Clayton's is the beer you drink when you are not drinking a beer". And just like that, anything that wasn't what it was became a Clayton's this or that.

As much as I hate to say it, the new "find" mini-window is a Clayton's upgrade, as is the ability to produce an almost unuseable master archive of Outlook messages that become cumbersome to search with whatever means one can spend one's precious time machinating.

What I would really like to do is take these new Acrobat 8.0 Outlook message archives and convert them all to Acrobat 7 style archives, with the old familiar sidebar allowing me to sort them by date, sender etc. Other software providers thoughtfully provide a thing known as a "save as" feature, such that files can be saved in a previous format to users that may not be so avante-gard (or often smarter) as to have downgraded to the new upgrade.

This is one of those classic, and not so infrequent times, where after I find a fix for this unknowing mistake, I will be sorely tempted to downgrade to the previous version until such time as an upgrade truly becomes available.

So, any way to convert these 8.0 generated files into a 7.0 useable (and useful) format?

Sincerely,
Bill

P.S. One of my favorite sayings is that when a mathematician sits down to solve a math problem with a pencil, which should he be more concerned with? The math problem? Or the pencil? Once again, the pencil becomes the problem..........

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 8.0, Windows
wfm
OK, I think I have a piece of this new puzzle figured out. It seems that the default output of Acrobat has been set to create one of the new PDF Packages instead of a traditional merged and indexed PDF file. Is there a way to convert these to a merged PDF file with the old sort options sidebar?
Dimitri
Expert
Hi wfm,

To combine files the same way you did in Acrobat 7, use the menu command "Merge Files into a single PDF", not the "Assemble Files into a PDF Package."

As an aside- your first post was quite a lot to digest and read- the second post with a shorter, more direct question is more likely to get a quicker response.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri
WindJack Solutions
www.windjack.com
mawernig
The "Merge Files into a Single PDF" doesn't work the same as it used to. When you created a PDF from an Outlook folder in Version 7, it would create bookmarks arranged by Date, Sender, and Subject. It no longer does this. Why did Adobe remove this functionality in a newer version?

It also keeps giving me the following error message when I create the PDF from an Outlook folder:

"There was an error while embedding index in the Adobe PDF. The Adobe PDF will not have an embedded index."

with no other explanation. So far, I think that this upgrade is pretty bad.
shengja
You can use PDFMaker to convert one or more Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes email messages or entire folders of messages to a merged PDF or PDF package. Within a package, each email message appears as a separate PDF file.

The Acrobat PDFMaker Conversion Settings dialog box contains the option that determines whether email messages are merged into one continuous PDF or assembled into a PDF package.

The controls that activate an email conversion to PDF appear in two places within the email application: on the Acrobat PDFMaker toolbar and on a menu. In Outlook, the menu is called Adobe PDF and appears to the right of the Outlook Help menu. In Lotus Notes, PDF commands appear under the Actions menu.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
source: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/8.0/Standard/help.php?content=WS9C160D36-D4E6-4ac5-B27E-48E2FF6CDE52.php
by: business card printing ( http://www.squidoo.com/business_card_printing )
mawernig
I already know all of that. I have been using the Outlook - Adobe PDF - Convert to PDF function for years. My complaint is that it doesn't work the same as it used to. When you used to create a PDF from an Outlook folder in Version 7, it would create bookmarks arranged by Date, Sender, and Subject. It no longer does this.

1. I do not want to create "PDF Packages" because these are created in Acrobat 8.0 format and a lot of my users haven't upgraded to Adobe 8 yet. I want to keep them compatible by using the Acrobat 5.0 format (which doesn't have the PDF Package function).

2. It kept giving me a message about not being able to create the index with no other explanation. I finally got this fixed by doing a Repair Acrobat Installation (which required a reboot).

3. The new version loads abysmally slow. We have applications that call Adobe to do conversions from TIF's by send keystroke commands to it. The timings on these had to be slowed down drastically in order to keep that functionality, thereby slowing down our production process.

4. The installation package for Adobe 8 does not migrate the settings from Adobe 7 which means that I have to manually set them on each of our machines.

Overall, this was not a well-tested or QA'd version.