These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 9.3.4 Links to non pdf files only work in the same directory

Thomas.H
Answered

Since the last security update to 9.3.4 I have detected, that links non pdf file (MS Word or Excel) only work when the target file is located in the same directory as the pdf file with the links.

If the target file is located in a sub dir or in directory above, it seems that acrobat can't 'remember' which application is assigned to the file extention.

In the case the link is working I get a warning, that the following application will be started, i.e.

"C:%5CProgramme%5CMicrosoft%20Office%5COFFICE11%5CWINWORD.EXE"

In the case the is not working, the same warning appears, but instead of the path to the needed application I just get the name of file, i.e. "Test.doc"

This error appears in Acrobat Prof and Reader.

Very confusing is the fact, that I have "good" files with this problem and bad files with it. If I open a good and a bad file at the the same time, the opening sequence is essential!

Case A
1. Good file, 2. Bad file => the links in both, good and bad, file are working

Case B
1. Bad file, 2.Good file => the links in both, good and bad, file are NOT working

Does anyone have an idea whats behind this behavior?

CU
Tom

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.3.1, Windows
George_Johnson
Expert
I've seen a number of folks mention this with 9.3.4. It's probably a bug and you may want to report it.
Thomas.H
Ok, I send a bug report to adobe. Let's see what happens.

CU
Tom
kgator
I sent two bug reports. also I tried to report it to support, they said "so you have a install problem" no the UNC Path to linked files that worked 9.3.3 are broken in 9.3.4. then they came back and said oh your having a download problem, let me send you a link to the download. I then gave up and said you don't understand my problem. It would nice if Adobe got people who understood their product and me. I went into greater detail about the issue, clearly its not an install problem or a download problem. We pay for support but you can't get any support.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Thomas.H wrote:
Since the last security update to 9.3.4 I have detected, that links non pdf file (MS Word or Excel) only work when the target file is located in the same directory as the pdf file with the links.
Since the 9.3.4 update was security based, have you tried turning off "Enable Enhanced Security" under Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced)? If this resolves the problem then I would suggest adding the paths to your Word files under the Privileged Locations and turning Enable Enhanced Security back on.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

rbogie
a related issue is Reader 9's failure to launch PDX (catalog index). i lodged the following bug report. can anyone confirm or refute this unexpected behavior?

******BUG******
PDX fails to launch search dialog (fn) in Reader 9.3.4 from 'open a file' action in bookmark or in button (PDF created in Acrobat 8.2.2). Note: PDX launch is normal in Reader 8.x.

fn: windows error message: "this file does not have a program associated ...." however, the PDX does launch normal when opened from Windows Explorer (double click or drag/drop), which confirms that the file association is valid and that the error message is probably caused by a bug in Reader.
trudolph
I tried playing with the Enhanced Security settings and still was not able to open any file not in the same directory.
Thomas.H
Disabling the Enhanced Security settings was my first idea, when I came across this issue, but I had not success.
rbogie
re my post of 2010-09-10 19:35:57 GMT, it appears that Reader 9.4 resolves this issue. first, however, i had to change the action for registered file type PDX (folder options> advanced) from 'read' to 'open'. can anyone confirm that the bug is resolved?