These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Excel 2007 Hyperlinking to Specific Page in PDF Documents

cduke

I've looked all over the web and am having no luck. I'm a finance guy doing research.

I want to hyperlink the numberical data in each EXCEL 2007 spreadsheet cell to the specific PDF page within an SEC filing that references the cell data. I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard. This process will provide a quick means of substantiating the data in thousands of cells.

I have read articles on named destinations, but the problem seems to be that
=page# is not recognized by Excel. Thhe hyperlink will go to the document, but not the specific page.

We have a web server along the lines of file// but if absolutely necesssary I could save to my local if that makes a difference.

If anyone has some other ideas about how to do what I want other than hyperlinking to adobe, then I'm all ears, otherwise. New verision like PRO, other software, or other approaches to obtain the same result.

I appreciate anyone's time and thank you in advance.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 9.3.1, Windows
gkaiseril
Expert
The open parameters only work with hyperlinks on a web page and not a link within MS Office or any other program.

Are you talking about linking the data to a specific field? Then you need to use the ADBC on an ODBC connection to an SQL database. Excel can be setup to appear as an SQL database, but the configuration and coding is not simple.

George Kaiser

cduke
Thank you for your reply.

I want to have the ability for staff to open a spreadsheet, and populate excel cells manually by reviewing PDF documents. The staff would then hyperlink the data in the given cell to the specific source page within adobe thereby saving hours of time for someone having to page back to that specific source page.

For example, I find 15,0000.00 on p. 45 of an Adobe PDF documents. I type 15,0000.00 into Excel. I wan to hyperlink the 15,0000.00 so that within a click I am back at the Adobe page.

If this isn't possible, do you have ideas for another solutions using varous software, and when you speak of time to resolve, how much time and generally what might be the issues? Frankly, I don't understand the root of the problem. I presume it that to do w/ the way the request is queried?

I'm hoping for a clean and efficient solution or alternatives.

Thank you again.
daka630
Expert
Quote:
=page# is not recognized by Excel.
Just nattering here; one user to another.

Microsoft Office applications interpret the "#" differently than does Adobe Reader/Acrobat.
See: [url=http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_open_parameters_v9.pdf]PDF Open Parameters[/url]

Perhaps it is Microsoft's particular usage of this character that is the issue; I suppose a "feature request" could be submitted to Microsoft to have Office be more supportive of Acrobat/PDF. (?)
Quote:
I'm hoping for a clean and efficient solution or alternatives.
Now, if you were to delve into the Acrobat SDK, IAC, and Acrobat Javascript along with VB or dot Net after awhile you might have something (as George alluded to).
Or, dust off C/C++ and construct an Acrobat Plug-In.
Regardless, I suspect it would be a non-trivial coding task.
If the skill set is not available "in-house" there are certainly a many capable developers available for hire.

An aside here:
imo, what seems to be often overlooked is that Microsoft and Adobe are separate software houses.
One is not the vassel of the other.
So, something slick in one environment may not be doable in the other.
Similar issues arise for Apple/Microsoft & Adobe/Apple.Be well...

Be well...

cduke
I appreciate your response. I had actually read an earlier post from you regarding the same question so was happy to see your response. I actually had reviewed the open parameters document after reading yoru prior post.

I admit, I don't understand the technology issue that are preventing the link, but it seems to me quite odd that there is no straight forward solution given thousands of others problems have the same need. I will follow up with Microsoft today to see if they have any ideas.

If anyone else has any feedback on this issue from a different angle, I would appreciate hearing so I can get a solution worked out.

Thanks again.
windjim
Did anyone find a solution to cduke's problem with excel hyperlink to pdf page? I also have a requirement to link them. Microsoft and adobe may not use the same code definitions but it looks as if they should create better links. There seem to be many programs to convert pdf files to excel.

Just a thought
windjim