These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Excel 2010 multi-sheet workbook, printing one single sheet

jgar

Hi,
I have the following odd behaviour, since moving from Acrobat 9x & Office 2007 on XP/32, to a new pc with Win7/64 & Office 2010/32:

I use a kind of "invoicing" Excel workbook, containing hundreds of sheets, each one being an individual invoice over time.
Each time a new invoice is added to the workbook, the corresponding extra sheet is converted to a PDF, and that makes the invoice sent to my customers.

With the previous pc, there was no problem at all to do that PDF, the individual sheet was processed "independently" by Acrobat.

Now with the new pc, every time that I convert the last sheet of the workbook, Acrobat seems to "cycle" through all the hundreds of sheets contained in the workbook, starting from the very first one...
I see all the sheets scrolling horizontally on the screen in Excel, and eventually that scrolling seems to "freeze" halfway in the sequence, with the CPU peaking.
After a few moments, Acrobat will finally come up on the screen, with the last sheet converted OK.

Is this a known issue, and what are my options?

Thanks.
Jose Garcia.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 10.1, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
There are a few known issues in Acrobat 10.1 related to creating Excel worksheets. Your problem sounds like it's related to the following (as taken from the technical note):

If you select more than one worksheet in Excel and then choose File > Print > Adobe PDF, the error “The printer command is invalid” appears. If only one tab is selected, page is printed properly. This problem occurs on 64-bit Windows 2003, using Office 2007. The problem does not occur on 32-bit systems with the same configuration. The Microsoft hotfix corrects the problem. The issue occurs due to bug in GDI. [2609751]

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

jgar
Nope, there is no error message appearing, and only the selected tab (sheet) is selected for conversion.
And here it is W7/64 with Office 2010, not 2003/64 with Office 2007...
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Are you using the PDFMaker macro in Excel or are you printing to the Adobe PDF printer to create your file?

jgar
Using the integrated Excel add-in.

When printing directly to the Adobe printer, issue does not arise.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Is the Print Quality dpi the same for all your worksheets? You can find this under Page Layout > Page Setup, Page tab in Excel.

Or do you have specific print areas set for your worksheets?

Are you by chance using the Office 2010 Click-to-Run capability?

jgar
I never changed any DPI setting from the defaults, as far as I remember.
No specific print areas set for the worksheets neither.

Now, that workbook is 3 years old, and he's only being "manipulated" by the new W7/AcrobatX/Office2010 combo since a short time.
What I mean is that I do not discard the possibility that something somehow changed inside the workbook from the moment that the surrounding software changed.

Maybe one way to narrow down the problem would be to create a test workbook with a certain number of sheets of the same kind, to see if problem can be duplicated...
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
jgar wrote:
Maybe one way to narrow down the problem would be to create a test workbook with a certain number of sheets of the same kind, to see if problem can be duplicated...
Yes, that's a good idea to create a test workbook, so we can isolate the problem.