These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Mac Word 2011 creates PDFs that crash Acrobat 9

Peteris64

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.6, Office 2011 and CS5.

If I go Print> Save as PDF the pdf is readable by Preview, but crashes Acrobat.

Preview can read the PDF and if I open it in Preview and go Print>Save as Adobe PDf the resulting PDF is readable by Acrobat.

Trying Print> Save as Adobe PDF directly from Word crashes the process.

Excel and all other applications that I have tried create PDFs that Acrobat can read.

Any ideas?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.0, Macintosh
insightmarketing
I am having the exact same problem running Snow Leopard except I have Office 2008 for Mac and using Acrobat 9. I have updated to Acrobat 9.4.4 and it still is not functioning properly regardless of what I do.
Merlin
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
Hi,

Are you sure about X.6.6 version ?
It sounds like the (so big and so silly) "OpenType fonts" bug of Mac OS X.6.7…

So, in any way, from CS5 you should "Export" PDF instead of printing as PDF.

;-)
Peteris64
The issue is not creating PDFs that Acrobat will read from Adobe software but from other software, primarily Microsoft Office. It started with 10.6.6 and has continued under 10.6.7. There are rumours that this is an Apple problem and that they have it in hand. I am working round it with CUPS-PDF.
Merlin
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
I can't help you further more since I'm waiting this bug to be fixed before upgrading my X.6.6…
;-)
BrooklynBoy
I have the same problem. Running 10.6.7 and Office 2008. Didn't notice it until I "upgraded" from Acrobat Pro 9.3 to 9.4.4. Problem may have something to do with certain fonts, e.g., ITC Stone.

I'm working around this now by using Preview, but when I reopen the pdf in Acrobat, I get the message "Cannot extract embedded font 'SIYRTF+StoneSansStd-Medium. Some characters may not display or print correctly."