These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Need file to be in pdf/x-1a:2001

cheryl101

Use: Adobe Acrobat X pro

Hi,
My printer needs the file in pdf/x-1a:2001 format, which is no problem when I create individual files. My question is: when I merge multiple files (which were created in this format) is that final document in pdf/x-1a:2001 form?

Also, how can I be sure what the format is for any given pdf file? I went into document properties, but am unable to tell for sure.
Thanks.
cheryl :)

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro Extended, Windows
daka630
Expert
Evaluate with Acrobat Pro's Preflight(s).

Be well...

cheryl101
Thanks, I did that.
It seems that when I merge the files, it loses it's compliance to pdf/x-1a:2001.

When I run a pre-flight on the files before merging, it passes with no problems.
When I merge the pdf files into one file and then run the pre-flight, it isn't complying with pdf/x-1a:2001.

Any ideas?

Cheryl :)

cheryl101
Okay, I figured it out.

basically, each file (if I go into properties) I'll see the correct compliance. BUT when I merge multiple files into one and go into THAT document's properties I do not see any complience listed.

This is what I did:

I merged the docouments. Then went to "View" then to "Tools" then to "Print Production". (on the right side a menu will pop up)
I select "preflight", then "standards" then select "save as PD1/x" & hit "continue". Make sure "Create pdf/x-1a" is selected and hit "save as" and give a name (or keep the one you have - I kept the one I had).At this point you should get the message that with a check mark that says "Preflight profile... did not find errors".

I closed preflight and then reopened it and slected "analize" to which it came up with no errors (whereas before it did get errors).

As a final check, I closed everything and reopened the merged file and went into - file - properties - custom - and the conformance is now listed in the box (whereas before, this wasn't there for the merged document only).

Hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Cheryl :)
UVSAR
Expert
Yes you're correct that merging two or more PDF/X-1 files won't automatically retain the standards header - because until another Preflight op is run, Acrobat can't be certain you didn't import something which breaks compliance. However given all the content was PDF/X-1, you know the combined file will pass the check OK and re-save with the standards tag in place.

If a file claims compliance to a PDF standard, you'll see the Standards pane on the left of the Acrobat window - opening that shows what it *claims* to be, and if necessary you can run Preflight from there to verify the claim is accurate.