These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

OCR won't work; "problem reading this document (114)"

Chris

After scanning to pdf, using Paperport, I then try to OCR the entire document, or even a single page. When trying to "save as" I get the following error message: "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (114)"

I cannot save and have to close the file. This is not good, as I wish to OCR most documents. This is a recent problem, as the OCR function used to work just fine.

I can get the document to OCR by saving the scanned image pdf as tif files, then combining into a pdf file, but that's pretty time consuming and shouldn't be needed.

The document I am scanning is a good quality typed document, with the only non-typed portion being a signature at the end of the multi-page document. As I said above, this was never a problem until recently.

Thank you for your help.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 7.0.9, Windows
pddesigner
Since you stated that this was never a problem until recently, have you upgraded your operating system to Windows Vista?

There has been reports that some people are having problems getting Acrobat to work properly with Vista.

Can you batch scan the doc's into MS Word and use the MS Word to PDF converter?

Do you have/use MS Office 2007 with the new Save As PDF and XPS add-in?

Have you checked the Adobe Distiller settings?

Have you downloaded all updates for your OS and for Acrobat?

Have you checked with the Scanner manufacturer for assistance with this problem?

My favorite quote - "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Chris
Thanks for the prompt reply. Here are my responses to your comments:

1. I don't run Vista. I run XP, service pack 2

2. I don't run MS Word, I use WordPerfect X3.

3. I just checked the Distiller settings. Default setting is at "standard" and compatibility is at Acrobat 5.0 (pdf 1.4). I've never opened Distiller before so I'm not sure what else you were referring to.

4. Yes, I have version Adobe 7.0.9 and I get the automatic updates for XP, so they are current

5. No, I haven't checked with the scanner manufacturer; it's an older Xerox scanner. But, I did not have this trouble until just recently.

I did scan something today by-passing Paperport and using the Create PDF > From Scanner function and using automatic OCR. It worked fine and the document (which was not as good as a freshly typed document) was readable with OCR.Do you think it is scanning to Paperport that is interfering with OCR'ing?

And, do you know was error message 114 means? I can't find it anywhere in the Abode knowledge base and they wouldn't answer any questions without upfront payment.

It does seem quite strange that OCR'ng that worked fine a week ago no longer works.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Chris