These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Java 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 problems/differences

dcooke
Answered

I've been creating forms to use where people can complete, save, and send back as a pdf the completed form. I have [b]successfully[/b] created an email submit button using the button provided, and also later by using a normal button and html mailto: command.

[b]Both of these work fine on a number of peoples computers (using Reader).[/b]

[i]However, there has been a problem with certain people where the button does nothing at all. Same file, no changes to the form, but it just wont work.[/i]

I've determined that there is nothing wrong with the form (as i created it, it must be perfect!) but have discovered that there seems to be a link to the version of Java that people are running.

I am running Java Version 1.5.0 as are the other people who can do everything with the form. But those who cannot use the email button have Java 1.6.0.

[b]Can anyone help me with this problem? Short of asking everyone to roll back to Java 1.5.0 i am really at a loss!![/b]

Help please!

My Product Information:
LiveCycle Designer, Windows
thomp
Expert
Acrobat sends email throught the user's system. The user has to have an email client registered with the system for this to work. In Window's this is done with MAPI, and most email clients will automatically register themselves when they are installed.

Is the email client is Java dependant? Is there an email client registered at all?

If you aren't seeing any error messages then this suggests that Acrobat sees the email as sent. So there may be some other problem with the email client.

Thom Parker
The source for PDF Scripting Info
www.pdfscripting.com
Very Important - How to Debug Your Script

dcooke
Thanks Thom.

We use Groupwise at the moment. I assume this would register correctly in the same way Outlook would?

I think i may have to remove all of my buttons and have people manually attach the forms to emails. Its a shame but at least i've learnt something through this!
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
This issue has come up with other Groupwise users. The suggestion has been to reinstall Groupwise because the user doesn't have the version of Windows messanger installed that ships with Groupwise. Here are some other relevent posts:
http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=4079

http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10085301&sliceId=&dialogID=43981777&stateId=0043985648

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

dcooke
Thank you for your help :-)