These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Can redaction overlay text be vertical? (Acrobat 8.2.2 on WinXP)

ATPWebmaster
Answered

A paralegal has asked me this. She wants the redaction overlay text to run top to bottom similar to vertical text in Word.

Although to me this is not logical being that we're using English-language Acrobat with left-to-right text, I told her I would ask. ;)

Thanks for your help.

ATPWebmaster
In my experience on forums, it is rather unorthodox to respond by phone. Please keep responses on the board. That way everyone benefits.

Thanks.

**Besides, I'd have to bill the client-matter for the call and using my phone is not an option.
rbogie
if you'll fully explain the nature of the files to redact (and perhaps provide an example), someone may be able to assist.
ATPWebmaster
Um, okay. She wants to redact pdf files. A mixture of image-based pdfs and text-based pdfs. Instead of the overlay text running left to right --> REDACTshe wants the overlay text to run top to bottom.
Such as:
R
E
D
A
C
T

There aren't settings in the redaction options for this that I can find. I've told her it isn't logical and likely can't be done. If it involves coding, that won't help since I do not know javascript or anything other coding language that would make Acrobat do something out of the ordinary.

Thanks.
gkaiseril
Expert
Have they tried just marking the area to be redacted and apply the redaction?

I just tried a vertical redaction area over multi line horizontal text, and it redacts the data.

George Kaiser

ATPWebmaster
gkaiseril wrote:
Have they tried just marking the area to be redacted and apply the redaction?I just tried a vertical redaction area over multi line horizontal text, and it redacts the data.
Yes. I deselected the auto-size option, marked a redaction with a small width to force wrapping to try giving the illusion of vertical text. I did not complete the entire process to see if it sticks once applied.

This was problematic though because of the guesswork involved in drawing the box. This would not be a viable solution for the user asking the question.
ATPWebmaster
Thanks for your help guys. I just called her back to ask her GKaiser's question and she told me,
"I don't need it anymore, I'm just going to rotate the orientation of the page".

Grrrrrrr!

Sorry to waste your time.