These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

8.1.2: PDFMaker disables Word macros after making a PDF

GDubs

Our Word files contain macros, and when we use PDFMaker to create a PDF, then go back to the Word file (which is still open) the Word macros have been disabled. Coworkers with Acrobat 7 don't have this problem.

And it's not anything specific to our macros; I can open a new, blank Word file, record a little macro that types "Hello world," test the macro, then make a PDF. Immediately after the PDF is created, my little macro has been disabled.

I'm using Word 2003 with security set to medium, but I get the same result with Word 2007. Common theme seems to be Acrobat 8.

Anyone heard of or experienced this problem?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.2, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Have you tried running a Help > Repair Acrobat Installation? Do you have multiple versions of Acrobat on the same system? Sometimes this causes macro conflicts. Here is a [url=http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333235&sliceId=2]technical note[/url] with additional troubleshooting tips.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

GDubs
Hi,
No, I haven't tried the repair option yet. This is a brand new installation of v8, and I did make sure to uninstall 7 before "upgrading." (The quotes are because I didn't have this problem with 7...)

I have a case in with Adobe Tech Support, as well as with PCHelps, the group my company contracts with for app support. So far, for some reason, I haven't been able to get anyone outside my group to try the simple test of writing a macro, PDFing, then trying the macro again. Just pinged the Adobe guy again to ask if he had tried it. I don't know if it's a problem with our installation (others in my group also experience it) or if it's an Acrobat problem. Won't know until someone tests it.

If I eventually learn anything, I'll post it.

Thanks,
Gary
Fwalter
Hi,

I have the exact same problem described by Gary though I have Windows XP SP2, MS Office 2007 1.2 and Adobe Acrobat 9.0.0.

Is there any help?

Just after creating a pdf via the Adobe plugin, my signed macros from a trusted publisher within a trusted directory do not work anymore - even if I set the macro security settings to the lowest possible enabling every macro.

Thank you very much!
Falk
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Fwalter wrote:
Hi,I have the exact same problem described by Gary though I have Windows XP SP2, MS Office 2007 1.2 and Adobe Acrobat 9.0.0.

Is there any help?

Just after creating a pdf via the Adobe plugin, my signed macros from a trusted publisher within a trusted directory do not work anymore - even if I set the macro security settings to the lowest possible enabling every macro.

Thank you very much!
Falk
Have you tried any of the troubleshooting tips mentioned in the [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333235.php]technical note[/url]?

Does this happen in all Office applications?

Have you tried updating to the latest point version of Acrobat 9?

GDubs
Finally got the guy from Adobe to test it, and he was able to duplicate the problem, so he escalated it to engineering to see if it was a bug. That was nearly a year ago. He promised to get back to me, but hasn't even though I wrote again just last week. We're now in 9.1.3 and we still have the problem.

You have to close your Word file and reopen to activate the macros again.

If by any miracle Adobe ever responds, I'll report it here.

Gary
Fwalter
Thank you both for your answers!

That is sad but I hope there will be a remedy soon!
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
GDubs wrote:
Finally got the guy from Adobe to test it, and he was able to duplicate the problem, so he escalated it to engineering to see if it was a bug. That was nearly a year ago. He promised to get back to me, but hasn't even though I wrote again just last week. We're now in 9.1.3 and we still have the problem.You have to close your Word file and reopen to activate the macros again.

If by any miracle Adobe ever responds, I'll report it here.

Gary
Gary, does this just occur in Word?

Just curious, have you tried renaming your Normal.dot file and then see this happens with a new Word file?

GDubs
Yes, and I just tried renaming Normal again to be sure. Try it: create a macro, or open a doc that has macros in it, make a PDF, then go back to your (still-open) Word doc to see if the macros have been disabled.

Thanks,
Gary