These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 5 + Word 2003: Embedded links not working when distilling

WCR-Internet-Ma...
Answered

I have an MS Word 2003 document with various hyperlinks to different internet urls embedded in the document.

By this, I mean that (for example) the words 'new york dentist' have a blue hyperlink embedded inside them (ctrl + click shows the full url), but you cannot see the actual url unless you hover over the link and wait for the Word tool tip.

When I print to the Distiller (Acrobat 5, not using the embedded word to pdf button, etc - not available) the link shows up as blue & underlined, but there is no active hyperlink in/on the text.

Is there any way of tweaking Word and/or Acrobat to fix this, otherwise I will have to go thru the document and use the Acrobat link tool to manually add about 60-100 links to text in the entire document... :-(

Obviously, I'd prefer to avoid this happening ;-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eran Malloch
WCR Internet Marketing
Perth, Western Australia

PS: I did read the 2 links FAQ docs, but neither of them discussed this directly, except one of them said an embedded link in the header or footer wouldn't work with Acro 5. This is not a header/footer issue, so hoping it will/can work.

PPS: Links with full urls typed onto the doc can be made to turn into live URLs, but just not embedded ones.

thanks in advance for ANY help.

gkaiseril
Expert
I think Acrobat 5 PDF Maker does not work with version of MS Office beyond Office 2000.

Printing to Distiller is like printing to any other printer, there is not interactive feature converted, just the data on an electronic sheet of paper not a file with interactive content. To get the interactive features one needs to us the PDF Maker macros provided by Adobe for MS Office.

George Kaiser

daka630
Expert
George is correct.
Adobe does not support running version 6.0 or earlier of the PDFMaker templates with Office 2003.
There appears to be an incompatibility with the PDFMaker.dot file, the PDFMaker.xla file, or the PDFMaker.ppa add-in that is included and installed with Adobe Acrobat 6.0 or earlier.
With MS Office 2003, you'll want the PDFMaker that Acrobat 6.0.1or newer provides.

Adobe's TechNote 329863 identifies that
Quote:
Acrobat 6.0 products were not tested for compatibility with Microsoft Office 2003.
Be well...

Be well...

WCR-Internet-Ma...
Thanks for your quick comments gents.