These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 7.0.9 Pro: Can't get any animation to convert from Powerpoint

RaviN

Hello,

I would very much like to take a Powerpoint presentation, convert it, and run it from PDF. This talk has a lot of video clips in it and the ability to embed clips through Acrobat 7.0 is a great improvement over Powerpoint.

Issue: While video works great, I cannot get _any_ animations to convert into PDF using PDFMaker from within Powerpoint. I have selected "Save Animations in Adobe PDF". The effects are very simple "Appear" commands where an image shows up after a mouse click.

Results I've seen in View Full Page mode: Images all show up but with no animations at all

It is my understanding that Acrobat 7.0 Pro handles some subset of PPT animations. I've tried a wide assortment of them but simple or complex, the PDF contains only static images

I am unfortunately up against the clock on this last minute assignment and would appreciate any advice.

Powerpoint: v. 2003 SP2
Acrobat Pro: 7.0.9

Thank you.

--- Ravi

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 7.0.9, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Are you using the PDFMaker macro in PPT to create your PDF?
Also, make sure that the following preferences is unchecked:
Edit --> Preferences --> Full Screen Category "Ignore all transitions"

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

RaviN
lkassuba wrote:
Are you using the PDFMaker macro in PPT to create your PDF?
Also, make sure that the following preferences is unchecked:
Edit --> Preferences --> Full Screen Category "Ignore all transitions"
Yes, I have been using the PDFMaker icon, leftmost of the three Acrobat icons in my Powerpoint window. The tooltip says "Convert to Adobe PDF"

I checked the setting above by opening up Acrobat 7.0:
"Ignore all transitions" is unchecked.
Default transition: is Replace
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
If a PowerPoint transition does not have an equivalent transition in Acrobat, a similar transition is substituted; if multiple animation effects are in the same slide, a single effect is used. Page transitions and bullet fly-ins are converted.

Do you have multiple animation effects? Are you seeing page transitions and bullet fly-ins?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

RaviN
Thanks for the clarifications, I think I am almost there.

1) I tried a different page transition type in Acrobat and it applied it to the PDF

2) Animations: Turns out left-mouse doesn't bring in the animations within a slide BUT right arrow does. When I click the right arrow on a page with animations, the elements do appear

Remaining issue: In the PDF, animations within a slide appear out of sequence

e.g.
Slide 1: PDF full-screen/right arrows brings up elements in the sequence 1,3,2,5,4,6,7
Slide 2: Should start with a blank page but elements 3, 4, and 6 appear. Right arrows brings up 5,2,1,7,9,8,10
and so on

I use only one kind of animation effect within PPT: An "Appear" on mouse click
These are not bullets, though. They are images and occasionally video clips.
RaviN
Just checking in to see if animations appearing out of sequence in PDF has any fix. Per the above posts, right-arrow initiates animations in PDF Full Screen Mode. I have a recurring problem of animations showing up in other than pure 1,2,3... orderings. I only use one kind of animation effect per slide in Powerpoint and it appears to be supported in Acrobat Pro 7.0.
Aalandriel
Acrobat 9
Possible fix for the animation appearing out of sync.

I encountered this issue as well, and my solution to the problem was making sure that the stacking order in the authoring application was the same as the animation order.

So the last object to animate must be the top most object in the slide (if PowerPoint is the auth app). And the first object to animate must be the bottom most object just above the background objects.