These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 8 PDFmaker doesn't work in my Word 2007. How can I get it work

gcurran
Answered

I am on updated versions of Windows XP, Word 2007, and Acrobat Pro 8.

The .DLL is not disabled.

The Acrobat ribbon is dosplayed and active.

I can produce .PDF from Excel 2007 using the ribbon, and from word 2007 by printing to distiller.

When I press the Create PDF button various things seem to start happening and I get asked where I want the .PDF to be placed and what to call it, but no .PDF is created and no error messages are thrown up.

I have looked around the forum but haven't found a problem or solution that matches my problem exactly.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.2, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
So, just to clarify, you can create PDFs from Excel using the ribbon but not from Word using the ribbon, correct?

Do you see the Adobe PDF printer listed in your printers? If so, check to see that the following is set:
1. Open Control Panel / Printers
2. Right click on the Adobe PDF printer icon
3. Click on the PORTS tab
4. Check to see if the "Documents\*pdf - Adobe PDF Port" is selected.

Do you have your copy of Word personalized?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

gcurran
Yes, I can use the PDF ribbon in Excel but in Word the ribbon seems to start working but doesn't produce a .PDF file.

By "starting to work" I mean that it asks me where to put the file and what to name it, and then the PDF maker dialog identifies that some activity is occuring but then disappears quickly and there is no trace of the .pdf file in the directory nominated. The directories I pointed at were all available for writing to.

Under Ports the "My documents\*.pdf" port is ticked.

I did have personal macros loaded but took those start-up files out of the picture to eliminate them from the problem. The only active addin at the moment is the Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM addin.

One thing I haven't tried as yet is deleting and re-creating Normal.doc
abhigyan
Expert
Make sure that your copy of Word is personalized:
Word Options->Popular>Personalize your copy of Microsoft office
Make sure you have the user name and initials non-blank

If that's set correctly, does it happen with all documents (like a simple document containing "hello world" or a specific one?
gcurran
Thanks for the help.

I had not personalised Word. I had left my name blank.

As soon as I had entered my name into Word Acrobat was able to write the .PDF's from then on!

With my name blank PDF maker wouldn't complete its task, even with the simplest of Word documents.
estimatesfast@s...
I use Acrobat Pro 8.0 (and can't update for some reason), Word 2003, Excel 2003, Vista Home Premium - please explain more about how to personalise Word. Under Tools/Options I couldn't find anything like Popular and Personalise. Possibly only Word 2007?

I can't print to Adobe PDF in Excel and Word and other docs like Web pages, but I'd like to try this personalising action to see if it corrects the problem with Word docs. Chris
abhigyan
Expert
Acrobat 8 does not support Vista. The support was added in 8.1. Personalizing would not solve your problem.
abhigyan
Expert
I think it will be better if you post a new question in "Deployment and Installation" section of the forum. Someone looking there might be able to help.