These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 9 and Office 2007

daievans

I cannot get these two to work-together - by that i mean to have the Office apps print from a toolbar icon, as opposed to have to go to the "Print using Adobe" - what am I missing?

Thanks

David E

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.1.3, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Are you missing the PDF Ribbon in your Office applications or is it that nothing happens when you click on the PDF Ribbon to create a PDF?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

daievans
No the ribbons have been there, I just get a message that the PDFmaker has failed and that I need to re-install - and I've re-installed many times to no avail ....
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
What setting do you have listed for under the Default Setting in the Adobe PDF Settings tab the for the Adobe PDF printer?

daievans
Standard
None
Prompt for Adobe PDF filename
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you find any information in the log file? C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\Distiller 9

daievans
I cannot find that particular file on my system ....

Sorry It's taken me so long to get back to you - i've been away for a few days...
de
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
What OS are you running?

daievans
XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3
daievans
BTW, I always fancied myself as an "early-adopter" but on Dec 31, 1969 I had not anticipated the establishment of the AcrobatUsers.com, as my personal details would suggest ... ;-o

It's a Monday - what's a man to do?!
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
daievans wrote:
BTW, I always fancied myself as an "early-adopter" but on Dec 31, 1969 I had not anticipated the establishment of the AcrobatUsers.com, as my personal details would suggest ... ;-oIt's a Monday - what's a man to do?!
Nice. I think a lot of folks around here are early adopters. Unfortunately there is a glitch between our content management system and forum that is causing this. We're still trying to sort it out.

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
At what point does the PDFMaker fail? Are you seeing the error in the dialog box in Word? Have you tried uncheck "Enable Accessibility and Relow" in the PDFMaker macro?

daievans
The process fails as sson as you click on any icon in the Acrobat tool bar ...

I looked for the macro, but was not able to locate it .... there are no macros listed in Word ...
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Enable the PDFMaker add-in in the Office 2007 application's Disabled Items list.
1. Open the Microsoft Office 2007 application.
2. Do one of the following:
* In Access, Excel, Word, or PowerPoint: Click the Microsoft Office button (in the upper-left
corner). Click the [Application Name] Options button. Choose Add-Ins in the list on the left
side of the Options window. Choose Disabled Items in the Manage drop-down menu at the
bottom of the Options window. Click Go.
* In Outlook, Publisher, or Visio: Choose Tools > Trust Center. Choose Add-Ins in the list on
the left side of the Trust Center window. Choose Disabled Items in the Manage drop-down
menu at the bottom of the Trust Center window. Click Go.
* In Project: Choose Help > About Microsoft Office Project. Click Disabled Items.
3. Look in the Disabled Items list for Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In.
* If Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In is in the list, then select it, click Enable, and click
Close. Then close and re-open the Office 2007 application.
* If Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In is not in the list, then use Windows Explorer to make
sure that PDFMOfficeAddin.dll is present in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\PDFMaker
\Office. If the file is not present, then go to Solution 4 for instructions on how to repair your
Acrobat installation.
Note: If you installed Acrobat to a location other than the default of C:\Program Files\Adobe,
then modify the folder path above for your installation location.

If this technique does not correct the issue check out these additional [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403561.php]troubleshooting[/url] suggestions.

daievans
Sadly - none f the solutions proffered resulted in the Acrobat ribbon working as intended ....
What next?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Did you try to verify that the macro is selected (as taken from the technical note mentioned above)?

Verify that Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In is selected in the Office 2007 application's list of available add-ins.

1. Open the Microsoft Office 2007 application.
2. Do one of the following:

* In Access, Excel, PowerPoint, or Word: Click the Microsoft Office button (in the upper-left corner). Click the [Application Name] Options button. Choose Add-Ins in the list on the left side of the Options window.
* In Outlook, Publisher, or Visio: Choose Tools > Trust Center. Choose Add-Ins in the list on the left side of the Trust Center window.
3. Choose COM Add-ins in the Manage drop-down menu at the bottom of the Options window or the Trust Center window.
4. Click Go.
5. Look for Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In in the list.

* If Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In appears in the list but the checkbox beside it is not selected, then click the checkbox to place a check mark there. Click OK. Then close and re-open the Office 2007 application. (If the Office application doesn't allow you to place a check mark in the checkbox, and if you have already tried Solution 1, then select Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In, click Remove, and proceed to the next paragraph.)
* If Adobe PDFMaker COM Add-In is not in the list of available add-ins, then click Add and navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\PDFMaker\Office. Select PDFMOfficeAddin.dll. Click OK. Then close and re-open the Office 2007 application.

Note: If you installed Acrobat to a location other than the default of C:\Program Files\Adobe, then modify the folder path above for your installation location.

daievans
Sorry I've been giving this thing (and you) a rest .... followed the above, but continue to receive the same do you want to repair the Acrobat installation message ....
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Bring up task manager - is a task called Acrotray.exe running?

Check to make sure the printer port is set correctly:

1 - Open Control Panel / Printers

2 - Right click on the Adobe PDF printer icon

3 - One of the visible tabs will be named PORTS

4 Click on it, check the "Documents\*pdf - Adobe PDF Port"

daievans
Acrotray.exe is not running in any taks nor processes ...

Everything else is as you indicated it would (should) be ...
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you manually start it?
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

daievans
Yes I started it - it appears in Task Manager - but nothing changes ....
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Have you personalized your copy of Word?

daievans
No - I am not certain how you personalize Office suite products .... Ah - but now that I have looked again, I HAVE personalized it ..... DUH!
Do you ever get to answer questions for smart people?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Well, at this point I think you might try contacting support/customer service. It may be that you have an issue with activation that could be causing this problems.

Is this the 32-bit or 64-bit version of XP?

daievans
32 bit version - I will try Customer Service - again - they didn't respond last time, IIRC ...

Thanks anyway, you've been diligent in dealing with a problem that no has yet to solve ...

=D