These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 9 won't open PDFs generated in Word 2011 or Word 2008 since 9.4.3 update

Dr.doc

Hi,

I recently updated Mac OS (to 10.6.7), Word 2011 (v14.0.2) and Acrobat Pro (to 9.4.3). Ever since the updates, PDFs generated in Word 2011 crash Acrobat on my machine and are unreadable by other recipients.

I have generated PDFs through Save As and through the Print dialog (both Save As PDF and Save As Adobe PDF). I've generated them from .doc and .docx files. I've generated them from Word 2008. All with the same effect—an apparently blank PDF half-opens, Acrobat hangs and I have to Force Quit.

To generate a PDF that will open without crashing, I have to go back to Word 2004.

Any working solution for this would be most gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Joseph

ps there was no option for 9.4.3 in the Version box...

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.4.2, Macintosh
Dr.doc
It seems to be something in the 9.4.3 update. I've checked another machine—identical setup except still running 9.4.2—and there is no issue.
bkahn
I, too unexpectedly ran into this problem yesterday, and I spent half the day trying to get to the bottom of this issue. It was somewhat comforting to see in this and other Adobe forums that other people are experiencing the same symptoms.

I have both a Mac Pro and a new MacBook Pro laptop. The Mac Pro is running Snow Leopard OS 10.6.6, while the MacBookPro is running Snow Leopard OS 10.6.7 (upgraded in the past two weeks). Both machines have Microsoft Office 2011 (version 14.2) and Adobe Creative Suite CS5 Master Collection with Acrobat 9 Pro (version 9.4.3) installed.

In my case, the problem only happens on the MacBook Pro, with the recent upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.7. It does not happen on my Mac Pro tower that is still running OS 10.6.6.

The Adobe InDesign forum claims that there is a known font-PDF issue with the new OS 10.6.7 upgrade
See this post: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/828397

If you're using Apple's Time Machine and you want to revert your Mac OS to version 10.6.6, here's a link to an Apple Tech Note about how to do that: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.php?path=Mac/10.6/en/15216.php

Following is a detailed summary of the issue, based on my exploration:

1. The problem occurs when saving a text document (MS Word 2011 or Apple Text Edit in Rich Text mode) to PDF using the PDF conversion tools in the Mac OS Print dialog (Save as PDF or Save as Adobe PDF).

2. The problem only occurs when your document contains OpenType PostScript fonts (e.g Adobe's Myriad Pro, Minion Pro, etc.) The problem does not occur when you're document contains only Adobe PostScript Type 1 fonts, TrueType fonts, or OpenType True Type fonts from Microsoft (e.g. Calibri or Cambria)

3. Apple's Preview application is impervious to this problem, but Adobe Acrobat 9 (Mac or PC) chokes on files generated this way.

4. If you generate the PDF using the simple "Save as PDF" in the Mac OS Print dialog, the file will seemingly save ok, but Acrobat 9 will hang when it tries to open the file.

5. If you generate the PDF using the "Save as Adobe PDF" option in the Mac OS Print dialog, the PDF exporter will hang, and the file will not get generated.

6. If you generate the PDF by saving the PDF Preview from Word or by opening the "simply" generated PDF in Apple Preview and then re-save the PDF, Acrobat 9 will open the file but display alphabet soup wherever the OpenType PostScript font was used.

7. For some reason, neither Excel and PowerPoint 2011 seem to exhibit this problem when using OpenType PostScript fonts and exporting to PDF from the Mac OS Print dialog.

Bob K

Novita Techne
Hi,

I am having the same problem and hope to have a solution soon. This is a feature I use *all the time*.

When I create a pdf in Word 2008 for Mac using the print dialog box, the pdf created hangs Acrobat 9. This only started happening after I updated to 9.4.3.

Thanks,

Cassandra

Cassandra