These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 9.0 has problems creating a PDF from a Word 2003 file

oucharek
Answered

When I try to FILE/PRINT/ADOBE PDF file from a Word 2003 file the sytem does one of the following:

1) Does not complete the job and closes down my Word file. And when I sign back onto Word it asks me if I want to save the new .dot file.
2) Creates a Note Log instead of the PDF file
3) Everytime (successful or not) when I PDF anything, it creates and ERROR PRINTING STATUS in the print queue.

Mostly, I just want to be able to create a PDF from a Word file with no hassels - like I did before I bought Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro.

Things I have note and have had success with

It seems to be a font issue when using fonts that were not standard to the PC.
If I set the Adobe Printer as the default, it sometimes works okay.
When using a font that is not PC standard, if I uncheck "Rely on System Fonts..." in the Properties section, it sometimes help.
If all the above doesn't work the first time, I have to restart my system.
And if that doesn't work, I can pdf 2 pages at a time it seems.

Go figure.

Any thoughts??

I use PDF's constantly with my clients, so this has been a major pain over the last couple of weeks.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.0, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Do you experience these issues if you use the PDFMaker macro in Word 2003? What OS are you running Acrobat 9 on?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

oucharek
I don't use the PDFmaker macro. I print to a PDF. I'm running Windows XP.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
I was just wondering if you "could" create PDFs using the PDFMaker macro or if the same problem occurred. Have you ever tried re-naming your Normal.dot file in Word to see if it may be corrupt?

The following [url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820919]MS technical note[/url] describes how to do this.

oucharek
The same problem (Word closes down and no PDF file is created) when using the PDFMaker.
I have not tried to re-name my Normal.dot file. I could try that, but I suspect this has to do with fonts that were purchased and aren't Adobe type fonts.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you find any information in the log file? C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\Distiller 9

oucharek
Here is the message log. The file is 31 pages long and as you can see it stopped after page 2.

esday, September 29, 2009 at 14:41:12

Adobe PostScript software version: 3018.101
CID support library initialization completed.
Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:
/CheckCompliance out of range
Acrobat Distiller 9.0
Started: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 14:44:58

Adobe PostScript software version: 3018.101
CID support library initialization completed.
Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:
/CheckCompliance out of range

Start Time: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 14:45:24
Source: PMtoDistiller_ID_2:Microsoft Word - Guest Book.doc
Destination: C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie Harrison\Desktop\Guest Book1-2.pdf
Adobe PDF Settings: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings\Standard.joboptions
C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie Harrison\Desktop\Guest Book1-2.log
%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[Page: 1]%%
%%[Page: 2]%%
%%[LastPage]%%
Distill Time: 00 Hour(s) : 00 Minute(s) : 26.859 Second(s)
**** End of Job ****
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Try changing your PDF joboption file to something other than PDFX4 2008. Distiller 9.0 does not support PDF/X4. It was probably installed with CS3/CS4.

oucharek
Acrobat 9.0 Pro was installed with CS4. How do make this change?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
In the Print menu in Word, select the Properties button for the Adobe PDF printer. In the Adobe PDF Settings tab, select Standard from the pulldown menu next to the Default Settings. This will use the Standard .joboptions file instead of the PDF/X4 setting.

ntrenholm
I'm also having trouble with the pdfmaker addin. I'm running Windows XP, Word 2003 and Acrobat 9 Pro. After Acrobat was first installed, it worked fine for several months. Now the addin is disabled in Word but works fine in Outlook 2003.
I can create pdfs from my print menu in word but i'd rather have the menu. every time I re-enable and restart Word, i get the same runtime error c:\progarmfiles\microsoft office\offie11\winword.exe
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
ntrenholm wrote:
I'm also having trouble with the pdfmaker addin. I'm running Windows XP, Word 2003 and Acrobat 9 Pro. After Acrobat was first installed, it worked fine for several months. Now the addin is disabled in Word but works fine in Outlook 2003.
I can create pdfs from my print menu in word but i'd rather have the menu. every time I re-enable and restart Word, i get the same runtime error c:\progarmfiles\microsoft office\offie11\winword.exe
Have you tried updating to the latest version of Acrobat 9?

ntrenholm
I'm running 9.0.0.2008061200. Is there an update? If so, how do I get the update and is there a fee?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
As of this posting, the latest update for Acrobat 9 is 9.1.3. You can download the free [url=http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows]updates[/url] manually or use the Update Manager in Acrobat under the Help menu.

ntrenholm
I'm waiting for permission from my administartor to do this. I did replace my normal.dot and the problem went away for a day. Now it's back. does that tell you anything about my problem?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Can you find any information in the log file? C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\Distiller 9

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Have you tried the suggestions in the following [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333235.php]technical note[/url] to remove Adobe PDF from the Disabled Items or Enable the COM add-in file in the Office application?

ntrenholm
Yes, I've removed it from the Disabled items more thimes that I care to remember. Each time I restart Word i get a Runtime error C:|Program Files/Microsoft office\Offie 11\winword.exe.
ntrenholm
I'm trying to download and install the updates. For some reason, I don'thave update manager and so need to do it maunally. I'm at 9.0.. It seems impossible to sort through the downloads to determine what I need to get to 9.2. I'm uniligual and don't need any of the numerous language options. Any advice on which downlaods i need?
gkaiseril
Expert
Are you using an "Administrator" Userid on your system?

George Kaiser

ntrenholm
Yes, I am for now.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
You should install 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.1.3, and 9.2 if you're manually installing the updates.

9.1 - This can be applied to 9.0
9.1.1 - This can only be applied to 9.1
9.1.2 - This update can be applied to either version 9.1 or version 9.1.1.
9.1.3 - The update can be applied to version 9.1.2.
9.2 - The update can be applied to version 9.1.3.

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
You'll want to update to at least 9.1 because there was a [url=http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.php]runtime error[/url] in Acrobat associated with redirected application folders in the initial release of Acrobat 9.