These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat 9.0 will not recognize Canon DR9080C scanner

jmay3

We have numerous Canon DR9080C scanners in this agency that can scan successfully in all sorts of image capture applications but they all fail completely to scan into Acrobat 9 Pro!

It looks to me like a clear bug in how Acrobat interacts with the scanner device driver.

I can select the scanner in either the 'Configure Presets' or 'Custom Scan' dialog boxes sucessfully.
e.g. Canon DR-9080C TWAIN

I also hear the scanner initialize when I hit the Scan button at bottom right of dialog box.

At that point Acrobat then spawns two popup boxes ...
One that I cannot access is titled 'Cancel Scanning?' and simply says Scanning ... and has 'Cancel' button that is unavailable for me to click because the other popup box appears to be a modal box.

This second popup box is titled 'Warning' with the following message text 'No page in the scanner, add page to the scanner?'. This text message is followed by an 'OK' and a 'Cancel' button. If I click the OK button the popupbox simply re-paints over and over and over. If i hit the Cancel button both popup boxes close and another error box opens titled 'Adobe Acrobat' and says 'the selected scanner was not found.' It has a 'Cancel' button that simply closes the popup box.

I have tried re-installing the latest TWAIN driver from the Canon support site but this has no effect. In surfing for similar issues I have found people reporting the same problem for a variety of scanner makes and models but have not yet seen any solution to this problem.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.2, Windows
pddesigner
Have you:

Clicked File > Create PDF > From Scanner > Configure Presets.Under Scanner drop down list, does the list match the driver for your scanner? If not, Acrobat has not recognized your scanners driver.

Consider contacting Acrobat tech support for a solution.

My favorite quote - "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

jmay3
Yes the correct scanner option ... "Canon DR-9080C TWAIN" is listed and selected in the dropdown.
The scanner intializes when I hit the 'Scan' button but then appears to be waiting for a page loaded signal even though there are pages to scan in the input tray. Because is erroneously thinks there is no paper loaded the tray never raises up to start the scan.

I know it is not the scanner or driver per se because it works in every other image-capture program I have installed. I also see the same behavior on other workstations with these Canon scanners and Acrobat pro or standard installed.
pddesigner
This article is not related to Canon DR-9080C but does have advice on the Canon DR-2580C Scanner. It might be helpful.

http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2006/11/using_acrobat_w.php

My favorite quote - "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

jmay3
I am surprized I have not been able to find more information about this specific problem on this forum or from my other web searches. However I have come up with work-around that actually highlights the nature of the Adobe bug.

Whenever I try to set-up the 'Configure Presets' screen so as to use the options:
Create => PDF from Scanner => Black and White Document
=> Greyscale Document
=> Color Document
=> Color ImageI find that the "User Interface:" dropdown box is set to "Hide Scanner's Native Interface" and the dropdown is disabled/greyed-out so I cannot change it to "Show Scanner's Native Interface". It appears that having the native interface hidden prevents Acrobat for properly handling the page ready to scan signal.

What I have to do actually use the scanner is to choose the ...
Create => PDF from Scanner => Custom Scan... option and then make sure I set the "User Interface:" dropdown to "Show Scanner's Native Interface".

It is only under this condition that I can get the scanner to work properly.
(Note that it will still not work for the other scan to ... options).

Thanks for the help pddesigner ... I imagine the last article you pointed me to would have also steered me into this workaround. - jack
ian.robbins
Is a fujitsu Scansnap s510 compatable as adobe does not seem to be able to recorgnise it
daka630
Expert
ian,

Quote:
Unlike more expensive devices, you cannot control the S510 directly from Acrobat or other applications because it lacks a TWAIN or ISIS driver.The lack of TWAIN doesn’t mean that this isn’t a useful device. The ScanSnap S510 is a great scanner, but you do need to understand how to use it to best advantage.
See [url=http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/?p=103]Adobe's Rick Borstein Blog article[/url]
n.b., The article notes that:

Quote:
The ScanSnap S510 has since been replaced by the S1500. The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Deluxe Bundle includes Acrobat 9 Standard and updated versions of the applications mentioned in this article.
The article discusses setup and use of the S510 and provides a link to a downloadable PDF version of the Blog article.

Be well...

Be well...

GregW
Uh oh! I just bought the S1500 (and recommeded it to our client) because the product detail sheet SPECIFICALLY mentions support of Acrobat. Over zealous marketing hype from Fujitsu? It certainly explains why I cannot get Acrobat to scan with this device. Has this been addressed by anyone? Fujitsu? 3rd party?

Daka630, do you know of an equally rated small footprint scanner that DOES work seamlessly with Acrobat?

TIA.