These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Acrobat Pro 9 File Size increase from 30k to 500k after adding 50 byte

johnbmcdonald

Hi All,

I looked around in the forum a bit, and checked the FAQ, but I didn't find anything related.

I've got a fax system that receives faxes and saves them as an attachment in PDF format.

A support agent will open the PDF and add a text field to the pDF then an RMA number or a one sentence response in the text field, save the PDF and faxes it back out.

The problem is that when the PDF comes in, it's about 30k in size, after the agent edits the PDF with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and adds a RMA number or a response, the size of the PDF file increases by over 500k

We have to save the modified PDFs as an archive of business activity.

considering we get over 100 faxes a day, the archive is going to grow to massive size very quickly.. this is going to become a big problem for us.

Does anyone know how to prevent this increase in file size? Some setting in the software that I am missing?

Thanks in advance!
John

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.0, Windows
Dimitri
Expert
Hi John,

Is the agent using "Save" or "Save-As" after adding the field and data? "Save" alone appends all new information after each edit to the file and results in a much larger file size, while "Save-As" optimizes it by getting rid of unnecessary information and makes the smallest file size it can. If you save-as to the same folder with the same file name, Acrobat will simply write over the older version of the file, or you can rename it if needed.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri
WindJack Solutions
www.windjack.com
www.pdfscripting.com
johnbmcdonald
Hi Dimitri,

I believe its "save" that they are using. our email client is lotus Notes. The PDF is attached to an email. The agent opens the attachment, makes edits and "save"s it back into the email, updating the original attachment. The agent then prints the PDF throught he Outgoing Fax gateway, Then the emails + attachments are archived.

It sounds like updating the exisitng attachment is not going to work..

maybe If the agents did a "save-as" to the local systems, deleted the original attachment and attached the new saved-as document, that would probably take care of it.

I'll investigate and let you know.

Thanks for your help!
John