These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Converting a Word 2010 file to pdf creates incorrect bookmarks

sveglahn

I'm converting a word document into a pdf and running into problems. The layout of the document has a table of contents with styles (Headings 1 - 4) separating the sections, but when I conver to pdf none of the bookmarks work. Within the document I can switch to different sections using the table of contents, but the bookmarks on the navigation pane will only take me to the cover page or table of contents page.

How to I fix this without having to readjust every single bookmark manually???

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 10.1, Windows
KellyMcC
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
When you create the PDF are you using the Create PDF button on the Acrobat ribbon? If you Print to the Adobe PDF printer or use Microsoft's Save As PDF (on the File tab under Save As) the Bookmarks may not work as expected.

Using PDFMaker ensures that all Bookmarks, Links and Tags (for accessibility) are included.

Kelly McCathran
Adobe Community Expert
Certified Technical Trainer+

sveglahn
I'm using the acrobat tab in the ribbon and it finds all the headers to create the bookmarks, but the bookmarks don't correlate to the correct page in the pdf. Any suggestions???
KellyMcC
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
Have you checked that your Table of Contents is up to date in Word, before you PDF?

Kelly McCathran
Adobe Community Expert

KellyMcC
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
Another question, do you have multiple versions of Acrobat installed on your machine? There have been some cases where this will cause bookmarks to work incorrectly.

Kelly McCathran
Adobe Community Expert