These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Does any version of Acrobat work with Office 2010 in 64bit Windows 7?

astronomer46
Answered

None of the posts or topics or announcements or ANYTHING I can find addresses the issue of Acrobat incompatibility with Office 2010. If this feature is now available in Acrobat X, why wasn't it prominently posted womewhere with the announcement?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 8.1.6, Windows
Dimitri
Expert
Hi astronomer46,

The new version Acrobat X is compatible for both and it is answered in the FAQ on this page-
Acrobat X FAQand OS info is here too-
Tech SpecsHope this helps,

Dimitri
DaveD
The FAQ you refer to is not very clear especially for functionality with the 64 bit version of Office. It says you can print to pdf but my main concern is can I use Acrobat X to archive my Outlook mailboxes to pdf files the way I used to with previous versions of office.

Thanks,
Dave
George_Johnson
Expert
FWIW, Microsoft does not recommend the 64-bit version of Office if it needs to work with 32-bit applications, such as Acrobat and its add-ons: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx
astronomer46
I don't understand the comment in the FAQ about using Adobe as the printer and not creating pdf directly.

Also, I don't understand why it took from 11/1/2010 until 2/5/2011 to get a response from anyone. That's 3 months+ to get an answer.
DaveD
Thanks for the quick response, George.

I checked and I am running Office 2010 32-bit but to make my query more specific. One of the best features of Acrobat was the ability to create search-able pdf documents of my outlook folders (i.e. my inbox). These files even contain the attachments to emails and I think it was by far the best way to backup my old emails. When I switched to Office 2010 I lost that ability and want to know if this feature now available again with the new version of Acrobat.

Dave

astronomer46
Please refrain from using letters in place of actual words. Not everyone uses texting or social networking. Your replies should be understood by all.

I have no idea what FWIW means.
daka630
Expert
Accepted Answer
--| DaveD
Acrobat X continues support for archive of emails from Outlook.
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.php
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333504.php

Be well...

DaveD
Thanks
astronomer46
I ended up having to purchase Acrobat X in order to do anything in Windows 7 and Office 2010. This forum was no help because Adobe's documentation 9 months ago was incomplete and that's why I started this. I still don't know what FWIW means but I no longer care because I am using the Acrobat X that I was forced to purchase to meet my needs.
try67
Expert

- AcrobatUsers Community Expert - Contact me personally at try6767 [at] gmail [dot] com
Check out my custom-made scripts website: http://try67.blogspot.com

iOSXPC_jeremiah...
George_Johnson wrote:
FWIW, Microsoft does not recommend the 64-bit version of Office if it needs to work with 32-bit applications, such as Acrobat and its add-ons: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx
SERIOUSLY WHAT DOES FWIW MEAN ???

"excuses are the stepping-stones towards failure"

Dov Isaacs
Expert
iOSXPC_jeremiahjwalter wrote:
George_Johnson wrote:
SERIOUSLY WHAT DOES FWIW MEAN ???
“FWIW” stands for For What It's Worth.

Beginning with Acrobat 10.1, Acrobat does indeed fully support the 64-bit versions of Office 2010. (I use Acrobat 10.1 on a regular basis with Office 2010 64-bit quite successfully!) Office 2010 64-bit is especially useful when working with large spreadsheets (Excel) or with mongo-sized e-mail folders and archives in Outlook.

Dov Isaacs is a Principal Scientist at Adobe Systems Incorporated specializing in PDF publishing workflow, PDF print standards, prepress, and printing. He is also chair of the ISO TC130 WG2/TF2 group responsible for PDF/X standards.

jeffreywhunter
@Dov - I've just upgraded to Windows 7 64bit, Office 2010 64bit - and Adobe PDF 10.1. I get the same errors others discuss in this post. Did you configure something to make it work? Office 2010 has been installed with defaults. I have Adobe Masters Collection CS3 (which had Adobe PDF 8) installed. When I found out that it was a 32/64 bit issue, I uninstalled the PDF suite and installed 10.1, but no difference in behavior.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated...

Jeff...
Dov Isaacs
Expert
jeffreywhunter wrote:
@Dov - I've just upgraded to Windows 7 64bit, Office 2010 64bit - and Adobe PDF 10.1. I get the same errors others discuss in this post. Did you configure something to make it work? Office 2010 has been installed with defaults. I have Adobe Masters Collection CS3 (which had Adobe PDF 8) installed. When I found out that it was a 32/64 bit issue, I uninstalled the PDF suite and installed 10.1, but no difference in behavior.Your assistance is greatly appreciated...

Jeff...
Acrobat 10.1.x definitely does work with Office 2010 64-bit with one major exception that I am now aware of. Within Acrobat 10.1.x, if you attempt to send an e-mail with the PDF file attached, you will get an improper message claiming that Outlook isn't configured as the default e-mail client. A bug has been filed against this.

Otherwise, other functionality including the creation of PDF files from e-mail in Outlook and the PDFMakers in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. in Office 2010 64-bit all appear to work.

What particular issue are you having problems with?

- Dov

Dov Isaacs is a Principal Scientist at Adobe Systems Incorporated specializing in PDF publishing workflow, PDF print standards, prepress, and printing. He is also chair of the ISO TC130 WG2/TF2 group responsible for PDF/X standards.