These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Error 1327 invalid drive P

jvanlingen

I am trying to install adobe 8.0 on Windows Vista. I am getting the following error message: Error 1327 Invalid drive:p when I close out the error message window the installation closes out.

My Product Information:
Reader 8, Windows
Dimitri
Expert
Hi jvanlingen,

Currently no Acrobat family product is supported on Vista. There are some people reporting they are using it with no serious issues (on the Adobe User to User forums), but there are many others who are experiencing a variety of problems. Vista support will be available in a patch to Acrobat 8 products, but Adobe has not said yet when the patch will be released.

Hope that helps,

Dimtiri Munkirs
WindJack Solutions
[url=http://www.windjack.com]www.windjack.com[/url]
dthanna
ExpertTeam
Update - With the release of Acrobat/Reader 8.1, the product line is now supported on Vista.

Douglas Hanna is a member of the Production Print Technology team at Aon.
www.aonhewitt.com

Starlionblue
Agreed with Douglas. You aren't answering the question.

As he mentions, it has to do with the fact that during installation, you change identity from your user to administrator, thus losing all your drive mappings. So if, say, "Documents" is on a network share, the installer wonders where it went. Makes sense in theory but is mucho annoying in practice.

So here's how you solve it:
1. Disconnect the previously mapped network drive from Windows Explorer.
2. Right click on Command Prompt in the Start Menu and select Run As Administrator.
3. Type "Net Use y: \\servername\sharename"
4. Exit out of the command prompt
5. Open Windows Explorer
6. Click 'Map network drive' menu item
7. Select the y: drive and typed \\servername\sharename into the Folder box.

Not very intuitive, but it works!

EASIER WAY: If you already have a mapped network drive, just do steps 2-4 and it should work...essentially you map it once for the user, once for the administrator.
nroosien
Would this mess up a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 setting?
aaronsj
Tallarico and Starlionblue -

Thanks for your solution to this problem! I was almost going to give up on installing Adobe Reader until I read your reply to this post, which actually gave a solution and not just information unrelated to solving jvanlingen's original post. I would have been frustrated without your contribution. I'm sure this post will get pleanty of hits as people move to Vista, to them: try this fix!

Aaron
mamapanda
I am a novice user and get the same "1327" error msg about a "'g" drive which I do not have but I am not using Vista. I still use XP Pro. I don't understand about disconnecting a network drive etc. Anyone willing to talk a 66 yr old through this whole process? I am tryoing to install Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 on my HP laptop. Dianne
eyeluvqueen
MAMAPANDA --
I am a novice as well and read this same forum and I cold not follow it. I explore the internet further. I fond this approach, tried it and got result.

1. Click Start, (left bottom screen) and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: Click on it ( then click on = tco. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click on Software then click on Microsoft tco. Windows tco. CurrentVersion tco. Explorer tco. Shell Folders

4. In the right pane (side), note the values in the Data field of each entry. If any value contains a drive that is not correct for your computer, right-click (mouse button) the entry, type c:\my documents in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Repeat step 4 for each entry whose Data value contains an incorrect drive.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each of the following registry keys:

· HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
· HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
· HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
· HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

7. Close Registry Editor.
shew82
A word of warning - if your IT department has set your home directory (aka My Documents) to somewhere other than C, changing it using the various registry edits shown here could have unwanted consequences.

The safer solution is to do the solution put forward by Starlionblue, which as he said, if you already have a network drive set up (ie you can see f: / h: / whatever: in Computer) is simply a case of:

1. Going to Start->All Programs->Accessories and right clicking on Command Prompt
2. Choose Run as Administrator
3. Click on OK to the UAC Security prompt (the "are you sure you want to do this message")
4. When the command prompt appears, type "Net Use y: \\servername\sharename"
where Y: is the drive letter, so if your documents is h: use that instead and the \\servername\sharename can be found out by looking in Computer -> the servername will be the name in parenthises for the drive in question and the sharname will be the name.For example, if your network drive is H: you might see an icon named "UserName (\\server\Users) (H:)" in the Network Locations section. This would correspond to the command line:
"Net Use H: \\server\Users\UserName"

Shaun
fafi
Eyeluvqueen's method worked for me...

Got the "Error 1327 invalid drive" message when I tried to uninstall Adobe Reader 8 and also when I tried to install Adobe Reader 9.

Used Eyeluvqueen's method, now Adobe Reader 9 is up and running.

Fair point, you have to exercise care when you're using regedit but the "safer" options did not seem to be available to me. (I'm a home user running XP Home edition).

Thanks, Eyeluvqueen!
jmdraft
I am having a similar problem.

My OS is XP

I have Acrobat Professional 7

I want to make a PDF from a Word doc.

I get Error 1327 Invalid Drive E:\

Recently, I accidentally deleted some files from temporary internet files and that may be causing this problem.

Can someone suggest the fix?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
According to the following technical note this error is caused when you are using folder redirection and the mapped drive no longer exists or you are not connected to the network it is mapped to. The solution is to modify your registry (which Adobe does not support):
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404946.php

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

NLJ
We're a school board which has used used folder re-direction for years and none of the fixes suggeted below work for us. This is pretty unfortunate considering how common Reaader has become. No other product - let alone any other Adobe product, has this problem, and we use numerous applications. We're on Novell network so the share fix isn't an option for us.

I've gone through the registry clearing out avery instance of G:\ drive except for those used by other products; I've set HOME and HOMEDRIVE variables and still no luck. If Install is picking up G:\ from somewhere, it must be an encrypted area fo the registry, as a search doesn't find anything that Adobe should find. Tried uninstalling all other Adobe products to sdee if that would help, but still no luck.

I also tried logging in workstation-only to avoid any network conflict and still receicved the error.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
knoxbury
I solved this problem by logging in as a different user on the same machine (create one if you don't have one). This other user does not have any mapped drives assigned. I installed Adobe Reader just fine, then logged in with the user with the mapped drive and everything was working great. (BTW, none of the suggestions above worked for me. We had a VALID mapped drive, despite what the Adobe KB article says, but it didn't work).
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
knoxbury wrote:
I solved this problem by logging in as a different user on the same machine (create one if you don't have one). This other user does not have any mapped drives assigned. I installed Adobe Reader just fine, then logged in with the user with the mapped drive and everything was working great. (BTW, none of the suggestions above worked for me. We had a VALID mapped drive, despite what the Adobe KB article says, but it didn't work).
Thanks for posting your solution.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

zoobio
Starlionblue - I don't know how you figured that out, but thanks. This solution to the invalid drive problem also works for installing Photoshop Elements 8 on Windows 7