These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Fail to pdf embedded Office 2003 docs using Acrobat in Office 2007

toppenkillen

Hi. I've got WinXP pro, office 2007, Acro 8.1 pro and tries to pdf a word file with embedded excel in it. No success, the embedded excel just becomes a black square in the pdf. :(

The Word/Excel doc I'm trying to pdf is originally made in an Office 2003 environment so I tested to create a brand new 2007 word file and embed a 2007 excel object into it. No problem, works just as it used to be on the pc where I created the docs in the first place.

I then tried to do Save-As Word 2007 *.docx file (i.e. to convert the Word 2003 file) and then pdf. Still black box. Opened up the the (now) 2007 Word file, double clicked on the Excel object for editing, marked/copied it into an new/empty 2007 Excel sheet. (Formulas and formatting became copied too.) Now I deleted the old (2003?) Excel object in the 2007 Word file, then marked and copied in the 2007 Excel cells (now converted from excel 2003?) back into the (saved-as) 2007 Word file, again as an embedded excel object. Printed, and voilĂ : It worked.

Seems as if there might be problems with the Acrobat plugin to Office 2007 when it comes to treat Office 2003 docs, or?

I really don't approve of all the manual work for this workaround. Please find a better solution/fix for us!

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0999999999999996447286321199499070644378662109375, Windows
pddesigner
MS Office has published an add on for Office 2007 that converts files to PDF.
Open MS Word 2007, click Word options, click Resources, select MS Office on line, click go online. Log in and type in the search word PDF.

This will take you to several PDF converters (most are free) including one available from MS.

Download and install the converter. It will place a new tab on all of the MS Office 2007 applications for converting to PDF.

My favorite quote - "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

metaphor
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. One more,pls, sort of related to this thread: XPPro, SP2, OfficeXP 2003, not 2007 and I happily installed CS3 Web Premium. Now so frustrated with Acrobat 8 not converting Word doc & Excel xls files I'm about to uninstall Acro8 and go back to Acro6 that worked. A8 can't find pdf maker, adobe printer driver for Ofc docs -and the suppport pages don't talk about them- but works with txt and rtf, so it's something with OfcXP. Could it be the compatibility pack so I can read docx? And would going back to Acro 6 (that worked beautifully) open yet another can of worms?
Sorry to rave, but you sound so reassuringly authoritative...
pddesigner
I assume you've went to this Microsoft link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/FX101321101033.aspx?pid=CL100570421033

Went to the bottom of the page and downloaded and installed (from the Popular Downloads) the MS Save as PDF or XPS or the Office File Converter Pack.

If you have, all should be OK with what you're trying to do.

My favorite quote - "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.