These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Missing bullets in PDF from Word 2003

ColoGreg
Answered

I'm using Acrobat 7 Pro with Word 2003 under Win XP and using a company Word template.

After using PDFMaker, all the bullets are missing from the PDF. When I print directly to PDF from Word and deselect "Do not send fonts to Adobe PDF," the bullets appear. However, I need bookmarks and links created, so don't want to use the direct printing method.

It seems like it must be a font issue. Is there a way to get PDFMaker to work? I don't see the "Do not send..." selection in PDFMaker. Thanks.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 7.0.9, Windows
dbaker
Expert
Hi --

The key is the font used for the bullets. Either change the font to a basic font -- Times or Arial -- or check that the font used is embedded.

To check fonts:

1. In Word choose Adobe PDF > Change Conversion Settings to open the Adobe PDFMaker dialog box.2. Click Advanced Settings to open the Adobe PDF Settings dialog box for the chosen settings.

3. Click the Fonts label at the left of the dialog box to display the settings.

4. Check Embed all fonts at the top of the settings, if it isn't checked already (which may be the case in this instance).

5. Click Save As to store the settings in a new file.

Try again.

donna.

A prolific author and writer of many Acrobat books, as well as books on graphic and Web design software.
Donna lives on a lakeshore in central Canada, where all manner of wildlife from muskrats to coyotes come to call.

ColoGreg
Thanks for stepping me through the process for checking the fonts, Donna.

The box was checked to embed all fonts, but when I changed fonts like you suggested, they now display in the PDF.

It's a company template, like I said, and it could be that I don't have the right font for the bullets. All the fonts seem to be True Type in the document except the bullet font was a "Symbol" font. On my machine the Symbol font is an Adobe Type 1 font.

I appreciate the help.