These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

PDF from Word 2007 file has different line breaks and page breaks

Kanunu
Answered

Ack! This has never happened to me before.

I'm using PDFMaker (Acrobat Professional 8) to create a PDF for a Word 2007 file. Nothing special about the file. All fonts are Arial. Page margins unexceptional (top .75", bottom 1", left 1.25", right 1"). But for the first time, every 30 pages or so, something won't quite fit on the PDF page so PDFMaker is adding additional pages, hosing up the layout and page numbers in the TOC and index.

Thanks anyone seen this before?

Kanunu

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0, Windows
daka630
Expert
Often, what you describe stems from a Word page's "frame" containing text flow having an overlap of the footnote "frame".
Whenever any overlap exists you can expect the output PDF to reflect this with additional pagination.

Assuring that there is descernable whitespace between the text flow "frame" and the footnote "frame" resolves such situations.

Be well...

Be well...

Kanunu
To my knowledge, I'm not using "frames" - does Word apply frames automatically? I can't find anything about frames in Word help; I've found some information on the Internet that sounds as if "frames" are something I can use intentionally - but I haven't.

I'm also not using any footnotes (though I do have content in the header and footer areas).

At least one of the unplanned new pages is caused by text breaking in a different place in the line. I've never seen Acrobat do this.
Kanunu
I've fixed the problem by going through my 180-page book and repairing each changed page break. In each case the text was near the bottom of the page. So I've reduced paragraph spacing and resized figures to allow more of a margin. I'm guessing this is what you meant, data630, when you referred to frames. There was no overlap, but something triggered the changes.

Having line breaks change was unexpected; I'll be watching this closely in the future. I'm not sure what changed; I've been creating PDFs from Word for many years. This is the first time I've seen line breaks and page breaks changing. (I've been taking to much for granted.)

thanks!
daka630
Expert
Hi,
Yes (I think) we are in synch on "frame".
Just to be sure -
Setting the margins for the body text flow in any authoring application establishes a "frame" (the box that defines the vertical and horizontal dimensions).
Headers & Footers, in Word, always have a default vertical & horizontal dimensions that defines the bounding box or "frame".In the past, when I used Word more often
(using FrameMaker for some time now & have a far better "joy to sorrow" ratio because of it )
I noted that anytime the bottom horizontal of the text flow "frame" even nestled next to the top
horizontal of the footer frame unwanted pagination occurred when I made an output PDF.
Unlike Word's WYSIWYG paper centric operation, PDF creation through Adobe PDFMaker provides "what is" vice "what you see".

When I maintained several large and complex living documents with Word and used line and page breaks (all per Word's described "how to" in Help & online) I learned the hard way that what was set was never reliable. The result was output PDF that could not be "delivered" to the online eLibraries I maintain or printed to provide sheet replacement for designated hardcopy volumes.
I'd have to always lift Word's "hood" to locate and fix....
Parsing through several hundred pages is not fun.
With FrameMaker usage for maintaining/updating a number of living documents of a complex, technical nature I have never had the application "misbehave" on me.
Another plus (a big one) is Tagged PDF output (for Accessiblilty) requires less post processing with Acrobat Pro.
A consequence of better Tag management in FrameMaker.
(yah, an unsolicited plug for FrameMaker - but it does reflect the reality of real world compare/contrast of two authoring applications used to maintain/deliver "production" PDF).One thing that results in less "arrgh" when making PDF from Word is to always start with the Adobe Printer as the default.
Then open Word, work, use Adobe PDFMaker (configured as appropriate) for the output PDF.
Do so even if working with Word 2007 (which I understand no longer locks on local printer/network printer metrics when it wakes up).
Configure a Distiller job option that fits your needs. Establish it as the Adobe Printer's default.
Configure Acrobat's Prefences (the Create PDF category). For the formats you work in, where there is the ability to Edit - do so.
Set up what you need.

Back to Adobe Printer - Get to its properties. Chase the "Advance" buttons - there are more than one occurrance of setting for the "in use" Distiller job option. Get them all in sync.

Be well...

Be well...

Kanunu
Thanks again for your help. I believe the margins (top, bottom, left, right) define the "frame" in Word. My header and footer margins are about half as large, so there's actually "underlap" rather than "overlap".

From your comments and this experience, I'm guessing Word 2007 is behaving differently and this is the first time it's tripped me up. Your suggestion of setting printer to PDF is an excellent one! I've never understood how to work with PDF Distiller (or even how to open it). I've always gotten by without it. Clearly I need to learn some new tricks. :-)

I hear you on Framemaker; looked at it myself several years ago but I'm a lone writer in a Microsoft Word shop. So I'm lovin' Word (more or less!)

Thanks for your wisdom and help.