These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Scanning both sides of page (HP 3050, Vista x64, Acrobat Pro 8)

TravisM

I have an HP 3050 MFC, which includes a simplex scanner. There is no driver from HP (for 64 bit Vista, which is what I use), preventing me from using their own software, but bizarrely Vista does have a built in driver which works fine with third party scanning tools such as MS Office Document Scanning, Vista Fax and Scan and Acrobat.

My problem is that I'm trying to get Acrobat to scan both sides of the page.

I had hoped I would be able to do this: put a stack of pages into the feeder and scan them all at once, then flip it over and tell Acrobat it is now dealing with side two. Acrobat then sorts the pages into their proper order.

Unfortunately, what happens is it does scan the whole stack, and then I do tell it to start on the back side and feed them in, and it scans through the stack again. But the product PDF only has two pages, the rest of the document apparently just gets discarded.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a compatibility issue or is Acrobat's "scan both sides" function limited to single pages?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.2, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
It sounds like you may have Both Sides selected in Acrobat but not your scanning software. If you select Both Sides and the scanner’s own settings are for only one side, the scanner setting overrides the Acrobat settings.

Have you checked your scanner setting?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

TravisM
There are no scanner settings as such. HP never bothered to produce a 64 bit driver for the HP3050. True, the model came out after 64 bit OSs had become common, and they do have 64 bit drivers for the printer, but they just didn't think their 64 bit customers were important enough to create 64 bit scanner or fax drivers for them.

However, Vista x64 has some basic drivers which install on plug and play. The scanner then works with scanning software, but no scanner dialogs are available in addition to the ones which the scanning app (i.e. Acrobat) provide.

So if there is a clash there, there is nothing I can do to change it.

Any other suggestions?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Is there any possibility to set this manually -- through the physical interface?

TravisM
I don't think the scanner would have a "both sides" setting as it isn't a duplex unit. I can certainly find nothing like it in the manual, nor would I expect to find such a thing on a simplex scanner.

I am trying to use software based duplexing (which I am told by an unreliable source is a feature of Acrobat). I scan a stack of papers through then turn the stack over and scan the back side, then the software weaves them together into the correct order.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
It is a feature of Acrobat but I think we're hitting a roadblock with your driver. I've seen other folks on the internet bring up issues with the HP 3050 MFC and lack of a 64-bit driver for Vista.