These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Very Slow creating PDF for 2007 PPT File

Beverly

We are using fFfice 2007 and trying to create a PDF using PPT 2007 and
Acrobat 8.1.1. When we use the Create button on the Acrobat menu in PPT
or use the Acrobat Professional the process is so slow. We have tried various settings (lowering dpi to 600) and none seem to make the process go faster. We are unable to use the Combine Files option because the process is so slow that it stops working and you get an error message. What can we do to fix the problem? We do not have this problem when creating a PDF from a Word document -- only seems to be with PPT. PPTs are not very big and do not have any animation.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.1, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Do you have your MS Office personalization entires filled in for Powerpoint? To check:

1. Start the Powerpoint.
2. Click the Office Button in the upper left corner of the application window.
3. Click the PowerPoint Options button.
4. In the Popular section, under Personalize your copy of PowerPoint, enter your user name and initials.
5.Close the application.
6. Open your PPT document and proceed with PDF creation.

If you have already done this, let us know what Power-point-specific options you have selected on the Settings tab of the Adobe PDF menu in PPT. Also, as a test, do you have any difficultly creating a PDF from PowerPoint if you print to the Adobe PDF printer instead of using the Create button in PPT?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

Beverly
PPT is personalized.
I have the following checked in Acrobat:
View Result
Prompt for Filename
Convert Document Info
Create PDF/A-1a
Add bookmarks
PDF layout based on PPT settings

In addition I just installed version 8.1.2
Beverly
Another bit of information -- the problem only occurs when you are trying to create a PDF and you want to print Notes pages.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Try turning off the "Convert PDF/A-1a" and just confirm for me that you don't have "Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF" checked. Also, what happens when you use the PPT Print menu and print to the Adobe PDF printer?

Beverly
When I turned off "Convert PDF/A-1a" I still had the same problem and the output looked terrible. I get the same problem when I use the PPT Print menu and it might even be a little slower.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Is there any difference if you click the Create PDF button on the Acrobat Ribbon to create your PDF?

Beverly
No there is no difference using the Create PDF on the ribbon. What I have found is that the issue seems to be related to when I create a PDF of the NOTES pages. We use the Notes pages to create a Student Guide -- slide on top -- student notes on the bottom. I do not have the slow ODF creation problem when I create a PDF of just the slides.