These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Word 2003 to PDF - Content Page Numbering Problem

pjelliott
Answered

I'm experiencing a very annoying and time consuming problem while trying to convert Word (2003 SP3) documents to PDF (v. 9.2.0).

My Word documents have a table of contents showing page numbers (that are numbered correctly) but, when I convert to PDF using print>AdobePDF for some reason the page numbers on the contents page change, it would appear, randomly.

The page numbers in the footer remain unaffected (i.e. stay as they should and as referenced in the Word table of contents): only the numbering in the table of contents in the PDF'd version changes.

I've tried using CutePDF but this suffers from the same problem.

I've also attempted to use the 'Convert to PDF' toolbar from within Word. In this instance the problem becomes weirder still as the process seems to dump random numbers in front of text (e.g. the report title may suddenly go from 'Dependent Development' in the Word document to '67Dependent Development' in the PDF'd version.

I've applied all available updates to Acrobat and Word but the problem persists.

Can anyone please help?

Kind regards

Peter

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 9.2, Windows
dbaker
Expert
Hi Peter -

There's no definitive solution to your problem, unfortunately. But, here are a few ideas that might help:

1. Resave the Word file with another name. Sometimes saving this way helps as you overwrite the stored temp data, which may have different page numbers for some of your table of contents links.

2. Combine the TofC and main body into the same document if you're using Master and component files.

3. Make sure the document is tagged before converting it.

4. Make sure all fonts are embedded before converting it.

donna.

A prolific author and writer of many Acrobat books, as well as books on graphic and Web design software.
Donna lives on a lakeshore in central Canada, where all manner of wildlife from muskrats to coyotes come to call.

pjelliott
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'll give those a try.

Regards

Peter