These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Word 2007/Acrobat Pro 8&9 - Hyperlink, Font change, Metadata issues

kchristie
Answered

Recently our office upgraded to Word 2007. Some of our team members still have Acrobat Pro 8 installed and some of us have upgraded to Acrobat Pro 9.

With the switch to Word 2007, we are suddenly unable to create pdf documents with working TOC links, cross-references, and hyperlinks - regardless of whether we have Acrobat Pro 8 or 9. We have set up the same settings as we used previously under Acrobat > Preferences, and we're using the Create PDF button to generate the pdf.

In addition, for those with Acrobat Pro 9, there is a font substitution problem in the created pdfs. Some Word headings, created in Styles in Arial Bold, are sometimes conerted to a different serif font in the pdf. We've checked the settings and can't figure out what is causing this problem.

Finally, there is some metadata that is created in our pdfs that we would like to avoid. When users search for our documents in our database using key words, they are unable to find them because of the extra characters and numbers that have been inserted into the metadata for the pdf. We have to manually remove these extra characters in the pdf (File > Properties > Additional Metadata).

Can you help us figure out how to create pdfs with working links, no font substitution, and no unnecessary metadata? I've looked at some of the other forum discussions but haven't been able to find anything that helps.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 9.3, Windows
kchristie
As an update, I have found the solution on this site to the font substitution problem in our created pdfs. Some of our Word 2007 heading styles (carried over from Word 2003) used Arial Bold font. I found out that Arial Bold was missing from the native fonts (Word Options > Advanced > Show document content > Font substitution) and a default substitution of "Arial Bold" was being made. That didn't seem to be incorrect, but I wondered why this was happening and if it was causing a problem. When I checked the style settings for these headings, the bold attribute was also applied, which seemed unnecessary. I changed all of these heading style settings to plain Arial with the bold attribute applied. When I created the pdf, the fonts came out correctly.For the loss of links, I'm looking into changing my user profile and the Normal template name, but I think I need to get our IT department involved, which will take some time. I have noticed that in the Acrobat Preferences box in Word 2007, I don't have the option to select a "Fully functional pdf" on the Settings page, which I think was available with Acrobat Pro 8. I have selected "Create Bookmarks" on the Settings page. I've also tried selecting one, two, or three of the options on the Bookmarks page, but it doesn't help to create working links in the pdfs.

If anyone has a different solution to the loss of links and to the unnecessary metadata in our created pdfs, I would appreciate help with these issues.
kchristie
A further update, IT tried repairing my installation of Acrobat Pro 9. It did not fix the problem of non-working links in pdfs. We also tried renaming the Normal template, and that didn't work either. What finally worked is changing my user profile. Now the links in my pdfs work.

I still need a solution to the problem of unnecessary metadata (numbers and squares) that interfere with searches for our documents.