These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Collating Problems in ver. 7.0.9

saer33

I am having problems with collating in Acrobat 7.0.9. When I select collate on print menu I get output like this: 1 1 1, 2,2,2 3,3,3. I am able to collate in other programs with no problem and I was able to collate in version 6.0 with no problem. Is there a fix

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 7.0.9, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Hi saer33,

The following technical note details this issue:
[url=http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333222&sliceId=2]http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333222&sliceId=2[/url]
Here is a brief summary:
Acrobat 6.0x supported printer collation and if a printer claimed to offer the option, then the choice was enabled in the Print dialog. However, some PostScript printers incorrectly reported that they support collation; in these cases, the collation option in Acrobat was available, but had no effect.

Acrobat 7.0.0 through Acrobat 7.0.3 offered the collation option for all printers. For all PostScript printers, Acrobat 7.0.0-7.0.3 always used host collation. For non PostScript printers, if the drivers support collation, printer collation was used. If the printer did not support it, then Acrobat 7.0.0-7.0.3 used host collation. This means that those PostScript printers with collation-based features did not operate as expected.

Acrobat 7.0.5 and later on Windows added support for printer collation on those PostScript printers that report to offer collation. Acrobat 8.0 on Mac OS also offers Printer collation on PostScript printers that support collation. Because support for printer collation may be reported incorrectly by some printers, documents printed with the collation option selected may not print as expected.

If you're interested, the technical note offers a workaround to force host collation.

Hope this helps,
Lori

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.